Sparaxis question

Janine StarykowiczNovember 26, 2003

I bought a 10-bulb package tonight from Frank's, they were labeled "Wand Flowers Mixed." It says to plant them in the fall, they will grow 13-15" and flower in June/July.

The picture is of Sparaxis, and from what I have read so far, they will not survive a winter here. We get snow and some sub-zero temps.

If I plant them in late spring, will they flower the same year? How tall do they really get? Would I be better planting them in a container and bringing them in for the winter, and will they go dormant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjhin(Gauteng ZA)

Hi

Sparaxis comes from the SW Cape which is a winter rainfall area. The plant is dormant over the dry summer period there. You will have to plant it in fall and it will not survive prolonged temperatures below freezing. You will have to plant it in a pot and then keep it in a warmer place during the winter (min +- 40 deg F, max +- 60 deg F). The leaves will appear before the flowers and it should flower in spring. The leaves will die in late spring to early summer when temperatures rise. If you are in a summer rainfall area then place the pot out of the rain and keep it dry. They do get about 13 - 15" and plant them about 4 - 5" apart.

Charles

Bookmark   November 27, 2003 at 4:46AM
More Discussions
black bugs on Mgambo flowers
What can I do to combat tiny black bugs attacking my...
ckekai334
South-African bulbs - Not all grow in standard potting soil
Except for Watsonia, Homeria, Moraea and some robust...
tired_of_digging
Protea cynaroides growth and flowering patterns.
Hi everybody! I have a question about Protea cynaroides...
petarkostov
Protea subvestita
I have always liked Proteas, but they can't be grown...
bill_ri_z6b
Madagascar Palm help
Hi, I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors,...
Yuyu
Sponsored Products
Oakland Raiders Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Personalized Brown Server with Iron Base - 12" dia.
$145.00 | FRONTGATE
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Caesar Mantel
$1,285.00 | Horchow
Spring Air Back Supporter Firm Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - AL
$564.99 | Hayneedle
Penrose Bronze Three-Light Semi-Flush
$98.00 | Bellacor
Uttermost 'Abra' Bronze Vanity Mirror
Overstock.com
Amphibious Wall Decor
| Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™