Yellow Fever - Pineapple Ghost Jam - second batch....

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8aDecember 22, 2013

Howdy! Happy holidays, merry Christmas, and a prosperous New Year! Today I've been in the kitchen, doing some cooking with mom! Made a non-spicy batch of pineapple jam, then shifted gears to make the spicy Yellow Fever Pineapple Ghost Jam. This time, I only used three Yellow Bhuts instead of six...yeah, the last batch came out a little hot ;-)

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yellow Bhut Jolokia....fresh in December :-)

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 4:27PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Sliced up the Yellow Ghosts, sliced up my Mandarin (Owari Satsuma) garnish, and prepared the Meyer Lemon juice.....

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 4:33PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

And had to take this hilarious pic of my mom!
Come on, ma, it ain't like we're cooking up a batch of nerve poison in Syria! haha!
She's so funny.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 4:36PM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

I made pineapple jam not too long ago. one pineapple, and one deseeded brain strain, 3 tablespoons of no sugar needed pectin, and 3.5 cups of sugar. I put the pineapple and the brain strain in the blender together, blended until fine, then boiled it up without straining it out.

I got 6 half pint jars out of it, at the perfect level of heat to burn up my family, and not have me too bored. it would probably go great on a pork tenderloin too. I'm already down to one jar, everyone loved it, and insisted on getting one for christmas.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 11:23PM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

I made pineapple jam not too long ago. one pineapple, and one deseeded brain strain, 3 tablespoons of no sugar needed pectin, and 3.5 cups of sugar. I put the pineapple and the brain strain in the blender together, blended until fine, then boiled it up without straining it out.

I got 6 half pint jars out of it, at the perfect level of heat to burn up my family, and not have me too bored. it would probably go great on a pork tenderloin too. I'm already down to one jar, everyone loved it, and insisted on getting one for christmas.

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 11:24PM
Phildeez(9b)

So far pineapple is my favorite fruit for hot sauces but I have not made a jam with it yet, I have not made many jams at all so that is sort of my next step anyway. Gonna have to give it a whirl with the yellow fatalii and/or datils that I have left and semi-copy your recipe.

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 1:53AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, guys!
Just had some with breakfast....oh, it's nice and hot, but not bitter this time. I think I'm pretty close to having this particular recipe dialed in. The citrus was a great refinement to help cut the heavy sweetness of the pineapple. I still prefer the Strawberry Ghost Jam, but pineapple is a strong second :-)

Josh

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:12AM
peppernovice

Looks awesome! Hope you didn't torture Mom too much.

Tim

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 4:12PM
tsheets(5)

Sounds great, Josh! I'm thinking that would be awesome in a finishing sauce / glaze on some grilled chicken / shrimp. :-)

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:53PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Tim, mom loves being a part of this insanity :-) Don't let her antics fool you! haha.

Tsheets, it would make a great addition to sauce....grilled coconut prawns with piquant pineapple sauce, mmmmm.....

Josh

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 11:57AM
woohooman

Sounds great Josh. I've yet to try my hand at jellies/jams -- maybe next year I'll give it a shot.

Merry xmas...again. :)

Kevin

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 4:27PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Kevin! Merry Christmas, sir.
Jam is so easy....add pectin to the fruit, bring to a boil, add sugar, bring up to a rolling boil for one minute, then pull off the heat and ladle into jars. And jams make superb gifts.

Josh

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
YELLOW ghost pepper???
We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer...
zelicindy
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Failed Germination: Anyone have spare seeds they'd like to spare?
Hey everyone. First time being on here since last season,...
tom1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™