Aristea and Gladiolus germination

iguana0113December 18, 2006

Hi

I've just received some seeds of Aristea major, Aristea confusa, Aristea macrocarpa and Gladiolus alatus.

Does anyone know if any special treatment is required for them to germinate?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobbejaantjie

concerning gladiolus alatus, according to a south african book sprouting the seed is very easy. and takes 2-4weeks to sprout. it must be planted in march in s/africa...so n/hemisphere september . plant in pots/seed trays at least 8inches deep with equal quantities of peat, compost and sand. the pots must be thoroughly soaked and the seed sown in a 5mm deep furrow and covered. keep moist and shaded . the seedlings will appaer as fin green hairs and must be kept moist and shaded till the end of the growing season(winter). weak plants should be kept in pots for 2 growing seasons(2winters). keep pot dry during summer and allow to die back. You are now ready to replant in garden or replant in pots at the appropriate distance from another when the next autumn commences.
for aristea sow seed in september in manure, compost rich, peat rich soil and keep rather damp(aristea is a water loving plant) germination takes place in a month's time. keep ssedlings in semi shade and do not allow to dry out AT ALL! plant out in the spring when they are 3inches high. they will grow to a foot in the 1st year and flower in the 3rd year.remember they'll only like full sun in the morning and prefer a semi-shaded positio close to(but not in) water
hope that helps!

Bookmark   January 20, 2007 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Gardening in ZA!
Hi all! I just started a garden and am wondering where...
jennapete912
South-African bulbs - Not all grow in standard potting soil
Except for Watsonia, Homeria, Moraea and some robust...
tired_of_digging
cycads
Where can I sell a collection of Cycads? Not mine....
bev2
Boophane distichia
I have a very large Boophane distichia bulb (it's in...
stevejohn
cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids
Looking for cryptostephanus vasonii or haemanthoids...
jools4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™