When is the best time

apvonkanelDecember 5, 2010

I am a new gardener, and I want to grow my own peppers. Does anyone in the Houston area (or anywhere with a similar climate) have any experience growing peppers? If so, when is a tolerable time to plant (not just the best time to plant, but please include that too), and are there any tips you can give me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zelicindy

We have started ours now. Last year we started in Feb. and only got 6 Bhut plants. So started earlier this year from ...bhutheads.com....and have 25 Bhuts going strong!! We have no idea what to do with them this Spring!! LOL!! Very pleased with these seeds!

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 6:11PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I think there are some Texas growers here, and I'm hoping they'll chime in...

I grow in Northern California, and I start my seeds indoors at the end of February.
By May 1st, my plants are ready to go to the garden or transplant into outdoor containers.
However, due to the rainy cool May we have here, it's best to plant toward the end of the month.

Last year, I noticed that the Chinense type peppers (Habaneros) grew compact and squat.
This meant that I had to elevate them to keep them near the grow-lights when my other seedlings
grew too tall. I pruned the other seedlings, but they still outpaced the Habaneros.

This year, I'll start these shorter plants in early February, which will give them a head
start on the other, taller, faster-growing peppers - Tabasco, Arbol, Poblano, and Thai chiles.

Another tip is that peppers don't like wet roots, especially as seedlings.
Avoid Peat Moss as a potting soil, and avoid Peat Pots for your seedlings.

Josh

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 8:57PM
romy6(9)

The best time to start outdoors requiring no inside planting for me is march. I live in Florida where we have some what similiar weather. My wife does not allow me to grow inside. I continue to add to my garden up til july. My grow season ends in late december. My garage allows them to live a little longer. The potted plants that is

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™