curly sage

herbalbettyJanuary 11, 2009

Hi All,

Usually I post over on the herbs forum. I'm hoping someone on the salvia forum can help me. Last year, Territorial Seeds carried plants of Salvia officinalis 'Curly'. They sold out before I could order. They are not carrying the plant this year. Does anyone know where I can get this variety of garden sage? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

It's new to me. With Salvia officinalis, I'm interested in finding a form that can tolerate southeastern US hot humid nights. Also dwarf, tidy forms that don't spread around too much.

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 10:09AM
hybridsage

I will try a local grower and check in with our local Herb society to see if anyone has seen this cultivar. What makes it different from other Salvia officinalis varieties?
Art

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 12:12PM
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

Is this the one (scroll to the bottom of the link)? If so, you might try contacting the wholesaler (Log House Plants) to see where you can find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia officinalis (curly)

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 12:49PM
herbalbetty

I have emailed Log House and haven't received an answer. I have also tried the websites of the nurseries on the West coast he mentions on the website. I'm on the East Coast.

Curly sage seems to have a lovely ruffled edge and a narrow leaf. Just something different! I currently have these varieties of Salvia officinalis: Dalmatian, Icteris, Purple, Nana, Tricolor, Sage of Bath, Golden-edge, Berggarten, Extrakata.

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 6:16AM
hybridsage

Herbalbetty:
Sorry no go one Curly Sage my friend in the herb business are growing a form from Israel which performs well here.
Interesting looking plant.
Art

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 9:39PM
herbalbetty

Hi Art. Thanks for looking. A sage from Israel? Well, I don't have that either. I will keep my eyes open for it!

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 6:19AM
hybridsage

herbalbetty:
I will get a Cultivar name for you.
Art

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 9:44AM
francescod(6b/7a VA)

Richard,
The sage cultivar that has been most tolerant of humidity for me in Northern Virginia has been 'Variegated Woodcote'. There is also the Israeli hybrid S. officinalis X fruiticosa 'Newe Ya Ar' that does well in southern climates. It goes by the common name of Silver Sage sometimes.

Francesco DeBaggio

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 10:43PM
vortreker

Newe Ya'ar does well in high humidity areas. I grew it in S.ALabama it is not "small and tidy" but it tastes great.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™