a favorite rose you'd never recommend?

iris_gal(z9 CA)June 22, 2014

Do you have a rose you're unwilling to part with over your better sense? Or one you adore that you'd never recommend?

I have one of each. Before digital cameras 'Helen Traubel' lived many years in my previous garden. Blooms blowing as fast as Austin's Heritage. But the pinks-peach-salmon color blend left me breathless. No hybrid tea has ever replaced her remembered beauty in my mind. But never would I suggest her to another rose grower!

'Compassion' irritates me no end with flowers only at the ends of the strong canes. I read it was the #1 favorite climber in Britain. Sold! Hah! It also blooms pinker than salmon-pink most of the time. Candelabra at the end of a 10 ft. cane. Ugh. I should take a picture of the long bare, well leaves, canes.

What are yours that you nominate?

Compassion - Cl.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DrPekeMom

Atomic White. She throws a blackspotty tantrum whenever she can...perfectly good canes die back, and thorny as hell. About three flowers a year. But those are exquisite. Sugar Moon is similar for me.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 7:35PM
seil zone 6b MI

Angel Face! She is such a black spot magnet I would NEVER recommend her but she'll stay in my garden forever.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:52PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Right now I would have to say Bewitched, even though for years it was my favorite pink and I have three of them. The one I've had for about 12 years hasn't done much at all the last two and my two newer ones haven't really taken off yet. Through the years I've had many beautiful blooms from the older one. I will always love those beautiful blooms though.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:20AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I second Seil on Angel Face--and add Peace to that. I adore the colors of Peace--and hate its BS susceptibility. I refuse to buy either one again (after several misadventures with both of them)--but I remember their incredible beauty.

Kate

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 12:26PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Angel Face was new to me in 1988 and so covered with blackspot! I'm 200 miles+ north now (of So. Calif.) + eight miles from the ocean and she's behaved much better.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 2:17AM
frenchcuffs13(z8a)

Lucille Ball. Her color is unmatched (much better than Marilyn IMO), her form perfect. BUT she is a mildew queen here and quite finicky. Alas, I love her.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:50AM
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Wow - those Angel Faces look superb - especially the one in bud form. Exquisite!!!
Carol

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:26PM
catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14

Great question! I think of these as my "wabi sabi" roses, helping me cultivate acceptance of imperfection by focusing on their finer traits...

Alba Odorata (except in lieu of a burglar alarm...): this one is extremely thorny and huge and unruly and does not have beautiful flowers by modern standards. I love it because it is tough (very water thrifty) and floriferous, has gorgeous foliage and buds, and no one, but no one, is ever going to climb over the fence it is on.

Phluger Flowmaster: a found rose with gorgeous, dazzlingly-scented blooms on the ugliest bush imaginable. Talk about gaunt and leggy -- Vintage acknowledged error in originally classing it as a climber and moved it to HT while HMF still lists it as a large-flowered climber. It's not; it's just wants to be a 6' tall, 2' wide monolith with bare legs and sparse foliage everywhere else. Best cutting rose ever if you want really, really long stems. It is also heavily virused. Nevertheless, l like it a lot and cope by putting fairly tall filler plants around it. It definitely shines from afar in the garden, like a beacon.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Pretty Peach Silk
I don't have many climbers or peachy/ orange roses...
kittymoonbeam
Photogenic roses
Which roses are consistently giving you gorgeous roses...
rosecanadian
Roses that need support--ideas
I had some leftover pieces of materials that we are...
kathy9norcal
The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild
To me, this rose has a different form than most Austins...
suebelle_neworleans
Lady of Shalott
This spring I could not take my eyes off this rose...
iris_gal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™