winterizing peppers in central fl

genevabenDecember 27, 2012

I live in Geneva and have chili, cayenne, jalapeno, bell and banana peppers planted outside in raised beds - most of the leaves have turned yellow and are beginning to fall off. Any suggestions on what to do now? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

Is it actually going down below freezing in central Florida?

If it is, and the leaves are falling off due to the cold, then odds are its already too late. The plants have already essentially died.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rustacator(9B)

Hello genevaben,

I live in Deltona between Sanford and Deland on I-4. Don't worry about the leaves yellowing and falling off. We never got to long of cold. I think the frost was between 4-6 am when we got hit. its minor they should come back. just make sure not to water for a bit and keep that soil to a light moist to dry for a bit or until the plant tells you it needs water. Even tho it's gonna rain tomorrow :/. but its all good just next time throw a blanket over them when it hits below 40 and take it off in the morning. Then they should survive the winter. next couple of days should be warm for them not to care about a quick frost bite.

Sorry about the night shots just took them. I tried to show the leaves that did fall off and the colors of the leaves.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™