Quick: snow tonight - and greggii question

dyhgarden(7b)January 29, 2010

We have a forecast for 7 inches of snow, then a layer of sleet on top.

My greggii varieties all look good right now and I didn't cut them back in the fall. One year, the heavy snow broke off quite a few mature branches (not just the tips) on my larger salvias. I cut them back pretty hard that spring to re-shape and the new growth was fine. However, I really thought I had lost them from the breakage of so many branches.

But, with these impending conditions -- Should I just let them be, or is there some precaution I should take today?

THANKS!

Cameron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

How about drapping a tarp over the whole bush? I really don't knw. I am from small snow country if snow at all.. I cut back my gregiis in january anyway so maybe getting the leafy part off would have it hold less snow.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 8:10PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Too late! It's dark here and we already have at least 2 inches of snow. Maybe they will come through like they did before.

Thanks.

Cameron

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 8:39PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I've had snow cover mature Salvia greggii plants at my old Greensboro, NC home without damage.

Here in Montgomery County, an hour south of Greensboro, we have had about 1 to 2 inches of sleet, and outdoor plants should be fine.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 1:44PM
dyhgarden(7b)

We have several inches of snow and then inches of sleet on top. It was all very dry today -- no encasement of ice on anything and the snow/sleet was blowing off of all vegetation. I can see the branches up through the snow, but there are drifts where plants are completely covered up.

Thanks,
Cameron

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 9:57PM
spazzycat_1

Cameron,

I'm sure your S. greggiis will be fine. Like your past experience, sometimes the larger branches break from the weight of snow or ice, but the plant always recovers nicely once it sends up new growth in the Spring.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 10:56AM
dyhgarden(7b)

The snow melted enough today that I can see that there is no breakage. We had a very dry snow this time. But, it is very muddy out there now.

Cameron

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 5:16PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

My weather.com forecast for central North Carolina says we may be getting freezing rain Friday and rain and snow Saturday.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 9:19PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

My weather.com forecast for central North Carolina says we may be getting freezing rain Friday and rain and snow Saturday.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 9:22PM
wardda

We're looking at up to 2 feet of snow here in South Jersey. It is funny, but prior to the 1990s there were very few storms with totals of 2 feet or more; it is not so rare now. If this one comes off as expected it will be the 2nd such event this winter. The driveway is long and the guy on the end of the shovel is getting older.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 6:31AM
dyhgarden(7b)

It has been pouring down a cold rain all day. This worries me more. Even though I "plant high" the ground is just saturated. Just before this rain, we dug out the top borders above the edging, installed a pipe and gravel so that my slopes won't wash away. So many torrential rains this winter.

For those outside North Carolina who don't know -- we get more rain than Seattle! Only, we have more sunny days (at least we used to).

My rain garden plants are happy, though! The pipe/gravel directs the runoff to them.

Cameron

PS I wish we could add agastache threads here on the salvia forum. That's what I collect! I have two new varieties on zone trial for TN Nurseries.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 4:39PM
wardda

Start one, they play an important role in my gardening and I am always interested in other people experiences and plants. Right now down in the basement there is a pot with hundreds of seedlings from aurantica hybrids that were differnt shades of orange. The rain east isn't exactly the easiest place to grow them but they are worth it.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Salvia Seed Sowing here's how:
I've been noticing several questions about salvia seed...
Salvia_guy
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Sponsored Products
XP Pera 6 Pendant
Lightology
Shun Premier Utility Knife
$129.95 | FRONTGATE
angelo:HOME Fulton Table Lamp- Gold - 8506-TL
$118.00 | Hayneedle
Lebello | Chair 6
YLiving.com
Halo 5 in. Shallow Air-Tight IC Recessed White Lighting Housing H25ICAT
$29.99 | Home Depot