Grow Indoor or Outdoor?

gorlaxJanuary 26, 2008

Hello! I am starting my sage collection and finally was able to purchase a cutting of the rare Salvia divinorum. Now I read that Salvia divinorum does well as a house plant as well as in the garden. My garden now consists of probably over 20 different species. Almost all of them are in a dormant type growth straight because of the cold we have been having. I read that Salvia divinorum is a semi-tropical and should be kept in warmer conditions. I had a huge clay pot probably 3 feet high and 2 feet wide waiting for my tiny plant but then decided to try it as a house plant. I have a few questions on what most would recommend doing. Plant outdoors in cold but roots will have plenty of space in the container or plant indoors with a smaller pot probably 1- 1 half feet and warmer conditions + controlled humidity!

The choice is hard for me. I would love for my plant to flourish and sometimes that's hard to do indoors so someone please give me some advise!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dicot

I'm replying just because this has been stuck at the top of the page for 2 weeks. Most people here don't want get into discussing S. divinorum, but are happy to discuss all the other sages. Sorry.

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 1:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I'd grow it outdoors as much of the time as possible. Most sages will grow far better outdoors than in, even if given ideal indoor conditions. I'd rather have to move it indoors for the winter and have it grow well outside, than keep it indoors all the time. I have found this sage very reluctant to bloom and not particularly easy to grow.

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
help identify this plant please!!!
Hi fellow garden enthusiasts! Can anyone help me identify...
sabine77
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™