Planting a Salvia reptans west Texas form

wantonamara Z8 CenTexJanuary 16, 2014

I am planting a salvia reptans west texas form in a East facing hillside in Central Texas that Has NO topsoil. I am blasting a hole with a pick axe into Texas limestone. Even the grass stays short on this slope. I have a soil to plant it in which is made worth some compost and washed Decomposed Granite sand. I can change it up at this point since I am at the hole digging point.. Does any one have any ideas. I can add in some more normal garden soil with humus or I can add back in the native limestone chunks that I take out for added drainage , but I am leaning away from that since it is on a slope.. Any suggestions. This land is very alkaline and unforgiving.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Good luck with that. I'd go with the looser soil. This selection develops thick roots that may be able to tolerate heavy soil. It does not like being pot bound, so hopefully, there are cracks in the soil for it to run.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The first 6 inches were soft limestone rubble chunks and some soil., but after that it is a hard limestone. I dug a square 24''x 24"x 8" hole. I piled up the rock chunks elsewhere where I will use it and some boulders to plant a beavertail opuntia. I filled the hole with a sandy/composty mix and added in some of the native soil. This is very friable. I can break up the soil around it too. and add in more garden soil. I should be building a bed but I am a cheapskate by neccesity right now. Other plants (fragrant mimosa,Live oak) have ran their roots through the top rubble layer. I could mound it up above the hole more also.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™