Salvia cultivars that come true/nearly true from seed?

christinmk z5b eastern WAJanuary 9, 2012

Hi there!

I've created a database to list all cultivars and named plants that "come true" (my meaning of 'come true' is to look like the parent cultivar, not 'genetically true' that you can only see under a microscope) from saved seed. Here is a link to a thread that explains it a bit more: HERE

I have been wanting to add more info on salvias in particular, seeing how they are such popular and useful plants. I was hoping you salvia experts could tell me what salvia cultivars you have grown from saved seed and which have "come true"/looked like the parent cultivar? Was it a mixture, did some come true and others didn't? What did they look like if they didn't come true or were only similar? Which ones have you found to be sterile?

Also...may I have your permission to write down your findings on my database? It is an "open" database meant for sharing with other seed savers and growers by the way. Really appreciate any info you can share...thanks much! ;-)

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmoney

Christin,
FWIW I have grown Salvia 'Rose Sensation' from seed and it comes true. Have also grown Salvia 'Caradonna' from seed, but most of my plants didn't have the dark stems that differentiates it from other cultivars. It did have the nice dark flowers.
regards,seedmoney

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 12:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Hi there Julie!
Exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I had been wondering what 'Caradonna' seedlings would turn out like...
Thanks a lot for the info. Take care ;-)
CMK

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Salvia Seed Sowing here's how:
I've been noticing several questions about salvia seed...
Salvia_guy
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Sponsored Products
Findley Wreath
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Floral Herb Wreath
$109.50 | FRONTGATE
Provence Plinth
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Findley Urn Filler
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa Salvia Modern White Leatherette Sofa...
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™