When to divide Wendy's Wish

fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)January 12, 2014

After two years with no die back, we had 16F. I really hope that it comes back. I want to divide it since it is 6ft across and is a real beast. I'm assuming to wait until spring just before new growth? Hopefully I will find signs of life.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

How many shoots does the plant have coming out of the ground at the base? Do you have only a few thick stems, or a multitude? If the latter, what is the radius of the complex at ground level?

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 10:00PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

It has at least 20 thick stems and at ground level it is at least 3ft conservatively. I actually measured it! I even cut it back at least half during the summer since it was encroaching on some things. If I could divide it then I could have two beasts!

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 12:31AM
robinmi_gw

I don't think you can divide this Salvia easily. Best to take cuttings in late spring,

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 1:33PM

Really? It looks like it could be divided easily, that's if ti is not frozen out. It appears to have layered itself.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:00AM
robinmi_gw

In which case you should have no problems. In the UK it just made one main stem.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:39AM

Ok then, I will wait for spring. I need to take a pic, I never thought it would get this big. And now I have discovered a new small one across the driveway and I don't know how it got there, possibly I threw a branch and it got covered in mulch and rooted is all I know.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:48PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I did cuttings last spring--stuck them in shaded soil and put a glass jar over them-- and they rooted in like a week.

I love that plant.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:51PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I've collected a seed off of Wendy's Wish, and it germinated and proved to be almost identical to the mother plant.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:01PM

I'm curious, if there are other salvias blooming nearby would they cross? Do all salvias cross? That would be interesting.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 11:59AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

There are a lot of incompatabilities between Salvias, and it also depends on the pollinators, and the geometries . Pollen may be deposited on the wrong part of the pollinator for a different species to pick it up. Also, there are small bees that harvest all the pollen before a true pollinator can arrive. Finally, there are time factors, such as the timing of the bloom seasons.

Sages that do not cross in, say, Massachusetts might well cross in southern California.

However, Salvia hybrids that cross in Salvia-friendly climates often do not do well in more demanding climates, while the opposite is not as likely to be true.

Some of the better hybrids have come out of colder climates and have also done very well in warmer ones.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™