Salvia Black n Blue

paleogardener(9)January 7, 2014

Alas it seems the salvia forum is withering (not many posts lately), as many forums are on GW of late...due in no small part to the severity of the winter in other parts of the country, I suspect.

I like to get down in the dirt & observe & learn. In the last couple of years I have become endeared to salvias. Each species is a little different & comes with its own unique requirements or certain fussiness if you will. It is immensely rewarding to overcome these challenges & grow them to a full bloom. But I'm preaching to the choir...
I have an awesome Black n Blue, bloomed all the way 'til Samhain. Now he is spreading wonderfully, with many shoots sprouting far from the original planting. Will he continue to do this year after year? Will the original plant peter out after it spreads? It seems to me this guy is going to turn from one plant into a clump of many, is this correct?Typically, how far can a Black n Blue spread in its lifetime?
As far as I'm concerned he (or they) can spread far and wide in my yard. I'll yank other plants to make room.
I'm in SoCal, zone 9. No winter yet this year. Quite the contrary, days in the 70's, nights in the 40's. Amistads are still blooming as are coccineas, pineapples, tangerines & greggiis. I post this this thread to hopefully get some discussion going & learn more about some of my (our) favorite plants.
Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kermitc

Black and Blue in SoCal is a weed, if it receives enough water. Probably would spread to infinity in fertile, moist soil.

Every couple of years it would be time well spent digging up the patch and replanting the newest, fast growing pieces from the outer reaches of the old clumps. By then the insides will be bare.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:20PM
paleogardener(9)

KermitC:
Got it. Thank you, you told me what I wanted to here. A spreader that I get to putter with now n then. I couldn't be happier!

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:27PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

This will be true with most of the straight guaranitica forms as well. Argentina Skies is also especially vigorous.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 10:13PM
silvergoldenrod

I've had my Black n Blue for 3 years now. Its planted in some shade- which I thought it liked mostly all sun. This is the only salvia that has done with for me.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:57PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Let us know where you live, and in what zone. There are probably quite a few sages that will do well. Depending on those that failed, your soil type and exposure might also be useful information for suggestions.

Then there are conditions like those on south central Texas, from San Antonio and Austin east to Houston, where ground water works best, because wells tap into an aquifer where salts from an ancient sea make the well water brackish.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Salvia apiana Gall
Seen mostly on Salvia apiana stems and leaves but to...
anygreen
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
My savlia Greggi red turned out to be Hot Lips...
In January I bought some 5 gallon salvias- I specifically...
Sabine Halfhill
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Korver Leather Ottoman - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Chic Home Beluga Embroidered Comforter Set - 34CK105-HE
$144.99 | Hayneedle
2-Light Wall Lantern Black
PLFixtures
Lynx 27-inch Built-in Grill with ProSear Burner, Brass Burner, and Rotisserie
FRONTGATE