starting seeds from frozen pods

robeb_gwDecember 30, 2012

I googled around about this, but found very little info.

In nature pods fall to the ground, freeze in winter, thaw in the spring and some of the seeds germinate to reproduce. I've had several springtime "volunteer" tomato plants that grew from fallen fruit at the end of the season.

So, as an experiment today I took a Bhut from the freezer, thawed it out and removed the seeds. I placed a few into moistened starter mix on the heat mat and left the rest out to dry. I plan to try to start the dry seeds in about a week or so.

Anyone here tried this before? Results?

This post was edited by robeb on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 20:50

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

Interesting experiment. I will be looking forward to hearing from you on how it turns out.
Bruce

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 11:31PM
nc_crn

It's worked for me before (though from a thicker-wall sweet pepper).

It's not ideal because moisture in the seed could ice up and break the coats harming the germplasm inside, but I've not only grown from seeds like this, but grown healthy plants.

I, too, dried mine before I started my seeds. It wasn't because of some method I was trying...it was because I was using the peppers for something else and I left the seeds out for a few days on a paper towel before giving them a run.

I planted 4 to a "cell" and though no cell had all 4 germinate, all sprouted multiple plants (which I pruned to 1). If I was going to do it again I'd probably use a paper towel starting method to better ensure I didn't end up with empty cells.

They all produced healthy/vigorous plants.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 1:21AM
habjolokia

At the end of the 2011 season I uprooted one of my Kung Pao plants and laid it down next to my rose bush some peppers even though it was uprooted still ripened. So after the fall and winter passed in the 2012 season I seen what looked like pepper seedlings. I let them grow out on their own. They were tall and spindly and the fruit that set and ripened were tiny compared to the previous season. They were tiny but still very hot. So the seeds can survive the cold winter as they could probably survive a freezer, but why put them through it when it's not necessary. Unless its a temperature controlled long storage means.

Mark

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 10:35AM
Edymnion(7a)

I have some Butch T pods in the freezer. Whole pods, uncut, fresh off the plant, just in case I ever decided to try cooking with one.

I suppose I could try thawing one out next year and seeing if the seeds are viable just as a test, but I would highly doubt it. Couple months of being frozen solid, I would expect the moist seeds to have massive ice crystal damage.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Found a nationwide compromise for 5-1-1 at Home Depot
Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil is actually made of...
scuba_steve81
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™