High Country Gardens Out of Business?!

Zinnia1(5)December 22, 2012

Right around this time of year I start perusing the garden/seed websites and look forward to the catalogs coming in. I was shocked to find that one of my favorites, High Country Gardens, went out of business last month after 19 years. Sad to see them go, I always had success with the plants I have ordered from them through the years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treebarb Z5 Denver

Zinnia,

It's true, they're gone. We just discussed that a bit in digit's Seeds! Seeds! Seeds! post on December 1st.

It's hard times for nurseries. My local favorites, Picadilly and Cimarron are now gone, too. Going to have to explore some new possibilities and learn to grow more from seed I guess.

Maybe this will make our swaps more valuable.

Barb

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 12:58PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Check their website. Still in business, at least for mail order.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 10:18AM
dirichmond

Have you found another nursery that caters to the high country? I don't see where they still have a mail order business, and it was my favorite nursery, too.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 7:18PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

If you're in the Denver Metro area, Dirichmond, Kelly at Timberline Gardens on West 58th in Arvada carries most of the same plants that were sold by High Country--and more. Kelly is VERY into native and xeric plants and grows things you won't find anywhere else in the Denver area--but no mail order! I checked his site and his perennial list for 2012 has been taken down and the new one for 2013 isn't up yet--he must be working on it!

In addition to Timberline he has his own private business, Cold Hardy Cactus, where he sells a LARGE selection of hardy cacti plus some really cool agaves, some yuccas and a few other miscellaneous things. And he DOES mail order those, so if you're interested in any of that I recommend you check out his site, linked below. (There's also a direct link to Timberline on his Cactus Home Page!) And if you ARE in the Metro area and are interested in cacti, you can see a LOT of them blooming at Timberline, usually in June, but the extreme heat last year had them all messed up and they bloomed way early!

Don't know of any other mail order places that would be similar to High Country.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Hardy Cactus (dot com)

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 8:23PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

If anybody's interested, I ran into the High Country site today when I was looking for info about a particular plant and it's looks to me like they're "back" in business as usual!

Right now, until February 20, they're having a "Pre-order your plants NOW, and save 20% sale!

Here's a link to the homepage!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:35PM
WxDano(5b-2a-6/7)

Still getting my catalogs. Not sure I'll survive the DW if I purchase any more plants for the yard, but still!

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 11:45PM
kerrys(5)

Latest info on the HCG website is they've been sold to American Meadows. I received an email notification about the sale.

Harlequin Garden in Boulder is another great local resource for sustainable plants.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 5:50PM
david52_gw

I just got an email with their latest sale.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
What did You Prepare and Eat from the Garden, Today?
A mix of Soldier and Jacob's Cattle beans with onions,...
digit
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™