gettin' some of that there moisture?

digit(ID/WA)December 20, 2010

Officially, all of our snow cover was gone - after 2 weeks of melting. Only the Kootenai River neared flood stage because the process was only just above an idle, throughout.

The return of a few inches of snow over the weekend covered about 2 feet of what must have been dirty-white "styrofoam" piled in my yard on both sides of the sidewalk. I think it may have snowed all night but I could almost remove it with a broom . . . there's a real question that, after a very White Thanksgiving, there may not be a White Christmas.

The national news certainly turned the spotlight on California storms -- where is the Rest of the West in the picture??

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Well, here along the Front Range in Colorado, at least the Denver Metro area, we've had a brown Thanksgiving, and are apparently in for a brown Christmas too! (I think further south, between Castle Rock and the Springs they got some snow around Thanksgiving!) While the Colorado high country is getting DUMPED on all week, around Denver it's supposed to be in the 40's all week. No snow---or precip of any sort---around here!

My snow crocus are chugging right along! Other things that I shouldn't be seeing for MONTHS are starting to "peek out" a little bit too. What a "winter!"

Is it REALLY possible for it to stay this warm for the whole rest of the "winter?"

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas!

Skybird

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 4:04PM
digit(ID/WA)

Wow! Flooding, slides and evacuations in California and, there is more rain falling as I type!

Onthesnow.com shows that the Sierras have gotten up to 24" of new snow! Some of Utah's slopes have had nearly as much.

I looked at the Denver forecast and it looks warm and dry . . . Pueblo, the same. Billings and Casper look colder but still dry. Nothing!

What kind of Pacific storm does it take to get weather on the other side of the mountains??

Steve

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 6:11PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

This is the first Christmas since I moved to the western side of the state, that it won't be a white one! We're getting precipitation, but it's rain. What is up with that? Rain in December?!?! Totally bummed about it. The kids are out of school, and are stuck in the house with no snow for sledding.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 6:25PM
gjcore

Steve asked "What kind of Pacific storm does it take to get weather on the other side of the mountains?"

It takes a really BIG storm to make it over the mountains. I think that if at the same time we have cold air sliding down from the north then we're more likely to get lots of precipitation.

We also can get up slope conditions which can be big storms but those seem unusual.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 8:03PM
david52_gw

Rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Up above 8000 feet, its snow.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 8:51PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Down here on the plains, all depends upon the fetch. Right now, mountains intercepting all of it.

Dan

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 9:35AM
mtny(SW MT zn 3)

not an open winter here ....plenty of snow in montana....plenty.... we had over 30 inches in november and december is well nigh the same...just shoveled another 4"

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 11:47AM
digit(ID/WA)

It seems real risky to copy and paste on GW but I'll give it a try. Today:

"Downtown Los Angeles received more than a third of its annual average rainfall in less than a week. . . Santa Monica and Long Beach getting more than 6 inches, the National Weather Service said.

With rain falling up and down the state, Sierra Nevada ski resorts enjoyed record-breaking December snowfall, with the storms bringing more that 15 feet of flakes to Mammoth Mountain."

A storm that brought flooding rains to California earlier this week will push east into the Four Corners region dropping heavy rain and snow.

Steve's digits

Here is a link that might be useful: Biggest Storm Yet

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:32AM
digit(ID/WA)

haha!

They better protect their veggie gardens, low-lying restaurants & supermarkets!

Here is a link that might be useful: washing out the flavor?!

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 12:43PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Winter wheat farmers are hoping for that low to turn favorably so they can get some snow, surely. We are amazingly dry out here.

Dan

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 1:18PM
david52_gw

We dodged the bullet - maybe 2 inches of rain in total. Still significant, to be sure, and great going into the winter. Last year, we had a similar 'rain event' followed lots of snow which stuck around for several months, drowning an awful lot of perennials.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™