Am I rooting Pineapple sage correctly? (pic)

connordubFebruary 14, 2009

Here is a pic of my 3 or 4 week old p. sage cutting.

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psageld9.jpg

I took 5 or 6 cuttings from the base of my pineapple sage plant a few weeks back. This is the only cutting that has had noticeable success, although the others have not died or wilted. I would like to confirm that the new stem (the one in my fingers, in the pic) is indeed sage and not a wayward weed seed from the garden soil. I am optimistic about this plant, as it has well drained rich soil, has a very vibrant green color, and spends the majority of the day under a clear plastic bag. The bag has helped a lot, and i'll have to remember this trick for the future. I have noticed 2 leaves growing recently, in addition to the two rounder leaves (cotyledons?). The newer, more jagged leaves are hard to see in the picture. I would gladly appreciate any tips on how to keep this plant growing. Also, roughly how long does the process from cutting to planting outside take? Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

It certainly could be a Pineapple Sage seedling, but it's a bit too early to know for sure.... it might be a side sprout form the rootstock.

I found that I need to loosely "bag" all Salvia cuttings AND keep them a bit warm. The increased humidity seems to help a lot.

Good luck with your babies.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 10:58PM
connordub

thanks, would a rootstock eventually turn into a new plant?

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 2:47AM
CA Kate

We'll need to ask Rich that one.

Rich, how does one remove a baby from the rootstock?

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 3:49PM
hybridsage

I don't that I would seperate the two plants. You may end up loosing both let the plant on the left continue putting
on older leaves so you can Identify it.
Art

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 12:05AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I'd leave it in until both have good root systems. If I have problems separating close plants, I will plunge the root ball in a bucket of water, work out all of the soil, separate the root systems, then repot. This works best with fast-growing plants like subtropical sages. It does not work that well with arid zone plants, because they don't like getting that wet.

I don't know what is going on with imageshack, but it does not work well with Firefox.

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 12:52PM
greenkid_2008(8)

Hey Connordub,

Salvia Elegans (True Pineapple Sage) rarely produces viable seeds in Cultivation, and since the plant in your photo does have Cotyledons I would say it is a rogue seedling.

The other plant in the photo is definitely Salvia Elegans, which I grow in my Garden (Zone 8/9) as a Herbaceous Perennial, It goes over with a hard frost, but comes back from the base in Spring. It is a fast grower and can grow to full size in 1 season, and flowers from late Summer until the first hard frost, which was early January here.

I take cuttings from the tips in late summer, and put them in water in my heated Greenhouse, it takes the about 2 weeks to root and about 5 weeks until they are ready to be potted up or planted out. Change the water regularly. Salvia Elegans will root much easier in a high humidity environment. My Greenhouse ranges from about 70-85% humidity, and every single cutting I took last year has rooted, and gone mental! I am well happy because now I have another 7 plants plus the original.

I hope this helps...

Greenkid

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 6:33PM
connordub

thank you all for your advice. that's disappointing to hear that it may be a foreign seedling. I've been pampering this thing for weeks :( . I'll hesitate, of course to remove it, until I'm sure. anyways, it seemed sort of fishy, as it didn't have the fuzzy, woody stem that this sage seems to possess.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 6:48PM
greenkid_2008(8)

lol keep the seedling and see what it is, it might be something amazing!

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™