Planting in Sandy Soil

AAJ_1623February 21, 2011

I have a small spot (6' x 4') in from of my house in Rehoboth Beach and am looking for suggestions on what to plant. Want some color, drought tolerant varieties no more than two to three feet in height max and does not attract bees (butterflies are fine, wife hates bees). Have looked at some Sativa varieties and a dwarf butterfly bush but am open to ideas. Thank you

Big Al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

What Salvias are you looking at?
Many of my Salvias and Butterfly Bushes (Buddleia spp.)
have always attracted bees, butterflies and hummingbirds
being they are after the same thing ..nectar.
Maybe someone closer to you than I am can answer your
question on bees.
Art

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 8:00PM
AAJ_1623

Thank you Art. I have a larger butterfly bush in my backyard and that doesn't seem to attract any bees. Maybe I should just go with the dwarf butterfly bush in the front. I know it will grow fine with the sandy, well drained soil.
Al

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 8:42PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Do you mean both honey bees and bumblebees? How about wasps and hornets? The latter two are no problem with Salvias. If your wife has a tolerance of one kind of bee, small blue flowers attract honey bees, and bumblebees prefer larger flowers, but will work the smaller ones as well.

Use compost and coffee grounds to build up humus in your sandy soil. This will help with heat stress during the summer. Hardwood bark mulch does a great job holding in moisture, and breaks down into just the right kind of humus for Salvias.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 2:12PM
wardda

Bumblebees may not be able to feed from many kinds of salvia but that doesn't mean they don't spend all summer trying. Some of the cultivars of Salvia greggii might do OK as long they occasionally get a light feeding. We are talking about dune sand, correct? Here in southern NJ greggii cultivar Wild Thing has been particularly durable. Other Texas varieties like White would do equally as well.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
S. clevelandii - Some leaves longer than others
I got a Salvia clevelandii (possibly a hybrid) about...
JohnCox
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™