Salvia Leucantha help needed

lboyce(Z5NY)February 19, 2005

Last year I went way overboard buying this plant. I overwintered them in my basement. The other day I noticed new growth coming off the old branches. I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me how to cut this new growth off to start new cuttings. The branches look dead but the new growth is as green as ever! Do I just cut at the base of the new growth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

I think it would be too young. I've had best success makking cuttings on half-hard wood. You caould wait a while to make your cuttings, or perhaps someone else on forum will have advice on what you can do now. Also, cuttting off 6" from ground level should give you new shoots and perfect plants off your original pots.

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 7:54PM
lboyce(Z5NY)

Hi Brenda....I had to pot all my Salvia Leucantha as I am in Zone 5 and could not put them in the ground if I wanted them next year. Some of the new growth is pretty long already but it is growing off the branches...maybe the branches aren't dead???

Linda

Bookmark   February 20, 2005 at 9:21AM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Definitely not dead if anything live is growing off them. If the plant will be too leggy for you growing as it is now, cut the brown part off at about 6" from ground and more green shoots will come from it. The longer you wait to do this, the more energy the plant will expend on new shoots you don't want.

Bookmark   February 21, 2005 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™