Two salvias to ID

purpledaisyMarch 27, 2007

Hi everyone,

These are two salvias I was given last year. They are just flowering for the first time.

The yellow, whose flowers haven't opened, has large rough leaves, stands about 4 feet high and a really lime colour to the new growth.

The pink has a very pink tinge to the stalks and a limey green coloured leaf, as you can see in the photo. It is smaller, 2 foot tall.

Does anyone know what I have?

Regards

Susie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinmi_gw

The pink one looks like Salvia involucrata 'Bethellii' or it could possibly be Salvia puberula. The yellow one is likely to be Salvia madrensis.

Robin.

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 5:55AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Robin has it down as well as I can get it myself. We would need to see the foliage of the first and another involucre or two to decide between bethelii or puberula. Bethelii is more erect than puberula, which is more vase-like in habit. The temperature and light conditions of submissions for identification make these judgments relative, so side-by-side comparisons are more useful.

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 9:09AM
purpledaisy

Thank you both,
I'm amazed that you can ID them so quickly. I've had a look online and I think it is probably bethellii as the foliage looks more similar, pink stalks. I've uploaded another photo which shows the habit and leaves better for your interest.
Regards
Susie

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 7:31PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I believe it is bethelii because of the shape of the involucre, which is a bit less sperical than puberula Hidalgo, the width to length aspect ratio of the leaves (longer in bethelii), and the slightly mottled color of the foliage.

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 8:32PM
ramazz(8a VA)

Susie:

Those are very pretty plants. Where do you live? I am not familiar with either of those salvias.

Becky

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 8:35PM
purpledaisy

I should have said Becky, I'm in Australia.
I'd imagine you can get these in the US as we generally have stricter quarantine and import than you seem to.
Regards
Susie

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 2:59AM
More Discussions
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
WANTED: Salvia Elegans (Pineapple Salvia)
Does anyone have cuttings or volunteers? I am in Redlands,...
LeeBeesGarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™