Salvia corrugata

warddaMarch 16, 2008

Does anyone have any comments on this one? According to Betsy Clebsch it should do OK in my climate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I've found it to be mostly a foliage plant. It can be a nice billowing ground cover that blooms late. When it does bloom, it has many small dense spikes of 1 inch blue tubular flowers in an unusual color-configuration for new world sages. I have not tried overwintering it outside, and if hardy, might be a better bloomer.

I know it comes from Ecuador, but am unaware if it is from a high enough elevation to make it hardy. High Andean plants are pretty tricky. Seasonal changes there aren't at all similar to what most of us mid-latitude folks.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 8:23AM
wardda

Ok, I'm trying to think outside of the box a little here on tender sages to be wintered over as cuttings. So many of the ones I'd like to try seem to be short-daylight types.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 9:55AM
robinmi_gw

In the UK, Salvia corrugata is not hardy, except in a very mild winter. It usually flowers brilliantly from September onwards. Easily-rooted cuttings can be over-wintered under glass.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 10:37AM
youreit

I loved mine, before it died in our unusual, week-long freeze we had in Jan. 2007. It didn't flower much the first year I had it, but it finally settled in the 2nd year. It grew like crazy and put out a lot of beautiful, fuzzy blue blooms that year. Then, I lost it.

If I can ever find it locally again, I will definitely give it a try.

Brenda

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 10:43AM
dirtface(soCal)

any chance someone could offer a cutting? I have lots of other Salvia that I could offer in exchange. The foliage of S. corrugata is wonderful and unfortunately mine dropped dead last year.

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Salvia ID
I can't remember which salvia this is. I planted "maraschino...
rubyhum
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
How to prune Pineapple sage for winter
My Pineapple sage in pot is at the end of its blooming,...
Gofrsz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™