need help with salvia divinorum

trying4agreenthumbMarch 16, 2007

I recently purchased, by mail order, 3 Salvia Divinorum plants. Unfortunately 1 plant has already died of unknown causes. My other 2 are worrying me. I planted them in pots after receiving them and I have them under clear bags to serve as a humidity tent. I mist them with water once or twice a day and they are under flourescent lighting. I don't see any bugs on them with or without a magnifying glass. Some of the leaves are getting spots that certain ways the light reflects off of them the spots have a silver look to them. I thought I'd be able to grow these as I have no problems with other plants(flowers/veggies). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to save these? I'd like to be able to remove them from the "tent" so that they would look better sitting on my counter. Any input would greatly be appreciated !! Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Your spots may be leaf miners, which leave silvery semitransparent membranes.

When you say they are under fluorescent lights, are the leaf tops a few inches away from the bulbs or are they 4-5 feet away? Like most Salvias, your babies need to be close, but not touching their light source. Extra humidity in low light will rot out the plants.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 11:53AM
trying4agreenthumb

What are leaf miners?

As for the lights...the leaf tops are about 1 foot away from the lights. I can't get them any closer to the light due to the clear bags I have over them. If they were closer to the light, could I remove the bags? I will try any and all suggestions!!

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 12:34PM
trying4agreenthumb

UPDATE::: I got my magnifying glass out again and did another look at my plants. I noticed on the underneath side of the leaves that there is a teeny tiny grey/white bug that resembles a caterpiller(it moves pretty fast). What is this and how do I get rid of it before it destroys my plants???

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 1:46PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

This might be a mealybug, which is a sucking insect. The males resemble small mosquitoes. Swabbing with Safer soap on a Q Tip might work, if the infection is small.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™