Salvia apiana

warddaMarch 24, 2009

Is Salvia apiana growable in the east if grown in xeric conditions. A garden helper wants to grow it and sell it bundled for incense. That is fine with if it is fine with the plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

Wardda:
Some of the California Salvias make it here apiana is one
of them. Maybe Rich has grown that so he can answer the question being closer to you.I know we can grow them over the winter here(in containers) but our summer is to hot
and it fries the plants in pots. They may be able to make a coarse sand bed so the crown is dry. If they do try to
experiment with that keep us posted. I have learned alot
just from trial and error.
Art

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 10:36PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I've never had any luck with the California sages in North Carolina. They don't like the hot, humid summer nights and their roots rot out in protracted summer rains and winter wet. They need raised sand beds to even grow well during nice summers, and congested foliage, especially around the base, results in mildew and fungus attacks.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 11:46PM
wardda

I suspected that was the case. There is an area in the park where recent dredge sand is about 4 feet deep, nothing much will grow there. To call it well drained would be an understatement. Perhaps she could try it there? Pachyphylla has managed to stay with us for 3 years now in the park, so maybe there is slight hope. I don't want to discourage such a willing helper, good ones with hoop houses aren't easy to find. Is seed germination problematic?

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 6:37AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I don't know, but the 100 ppm treatment with GB-3 for 30 minutes with shaking was developed for Salvia sonomensis, and it works for Phlomis and the other California sages I tried.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
flowers more tenacious
The only Salvia that I know first-hand is S. coccinea. Blossoms...
four
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™