S. lavanduloides looks like dying please help!

sunsetnovicegardenerMarch 6, 2007

I got a healthy S. lavanduloides in 1 gallon pot last month (2/10/2007). I do not think frost hit this plant since I put it in the ground. Its leaves are turning brown from the tip and new growth from woody stem seems to be drying up as well. (I noticed leaves hit by frost do not turn brown from the tip; instead turn brown wherever frost forms.)

It has been getting plenty of spring rain and placed in full sun. This salvia is not listed in Betsy ClebschÂs "Book of Salvia" so I thought I should seek help here. Cabrillo CollegeÂs Salvia Chart says this plant is semi-deciduous but my other semi-deciduous salviaÂs leaves did not turn brown. I really like airy look of this salvia and I would appreciate your input.

Thank you for reading my posting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

It sounds like root rot to me, especially the brown tips. Wilting and leaf drop are part of the symptoms, as is a potting soil that retains a lot of water. This is a Mediterranean plant and needs a fast draining soil and a neutral to slightly limy soil. Air drainage around the base is good. You can remove some of the dead leaves clustered at the base.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 10:51PM
sunsetnovicegardener

Rich_dufresne,

Thank you for your response. Sorry I did not make it clear that I planted the salvia in the ground in my garden where get very good air circulation.

Cabrillo College's Salvia Chart says this salvia is from Central & Southern Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala. So I thought it would like some moisture and dumped compost mixed with aged chicken manure in a planting hole.

I consulted with a volunteer at SF Botanical Garden at a plant sale 2 weekends ago. She says it might be getting too much wind. We put a protection around it but no sign of improvement.

Your assessment on root damage makes sense for I untangled bounded roots when planted and I might have damaged the roots. That is the only different thing I did for S. lavanduloides from 7 other salvia with root bound that I planted previously in my garden and all of them are growing healthy and achieving their mature size.
I bought a new plant of S. lavanduloides was available at the plant sale. I will not touch roots this time and hope this one grows well.

I put the link to the picture of S. lavanduloides:

http://www.cabrillo.edu/academics/horticulture/salvias/html/lavandula.html

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 6:43PM
voodoobrew

If anyone is wondering about the hardiness of this plant, I want to post a picture that I took today of one of mine, after several recent nights of frost in the Bay Area [unusual!].

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 6:59PM
kermitc

This one generally "looks like Hell" in the winter. It requires very good drainage and good air movement as well.

Doesn't look all that bad from the picture.

We are 140 miles to the North of you, BTW.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 11:37PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Tony Avent planted about three different seedlings from Robin's seeds, and they were highly variable.

Here is a close up of some flower spikes

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
California Native Sage Festival--March 28, 2015
At Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, Ca....
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Skin irritation from Mexican bush sage?
Whenever I prune our Mexican bush sage, I break out....
hollybegonia
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
salvia discolor
I have been able to overwinter my salvia discolor in...
duane456
Sponsored Products
Orleans Satin Nickel Nine-Light Chandelier
$303.00 | Bellacor
Kenroy Laguna Large Wall Lantern In Golden Bronze
Beyond Stores
Area Rug: Sail the Seas Blue 2' 6" x 4' 2"
$99.97 | Home Depot
Arch Lounge Chair in Walnut Black
$199.00 | LexMod
RS Barcelona | Wall Champions 1, Set of Four
YLiving.com