Whitish substance on S. t. Nelsoni - Help!

lainielady(z5OH)January 9, 2004

There appears to be growing on an offset of my S. t. Nelsoni - a whitish substance going up the stalk. I haven't really been overwatering this(I hope) knowing its sparsely watering rquirements, but this really has me concerned. It almost resembles a mold, not a solid growth but spotty going up the leaf, but I'm not sure and I am wondering what to do?? The plant is in a room with temps. between 65 to 70 degrees, I don't believe it is overpotted, only watered about every 3 or so weeks and them lightly. I cannot see any rot on the leaf. What should I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated. - Elaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lainielady(z5OH)

Just my update on the substance attacking my S. t. 'Nelsoni' and now my S. t. 'Bantels's Sensation' and S. t. 'Jade Dwarf Marginated'. I don't believe that it is foliar mealy bug infestation as I had that several years ago on African Violets, but I cannot absolutely rule it out. My leaning is towards a fungal infection of some sort resembling the mealy bugs' whitish substance, especially as some of the leaves appeared as if having a fungus or very slight whitish mildew appearance. But, what I have done is remove all whitish "spots"(some looked like meringue peaks with spores) with alcohol swabs, treated the soil with Marathon, then sprayed with Daconil solution for fungus. And they are isolated. I hope I don't kill them, but figured they were well on their way out anyway with whatever infestation they have. I value these plants, as well as all my others, and many times I am in the dark(at least I am) as to treatments, especially for sans and some others. My S. t. 'Bantels's Sensation'
(I have 2) have been doing well and I was so happy, but then one day you look closely and get a very unpleasant surprise. Anyway, I just wanted to share and would still welcome any comments or experiences similar. - Elaine

Bookmark   January 10, 2004 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Roamin' rhizomes in the ground
After being in the ground since mid-March, the Sans...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
plantnut2011
Cerus peruvianus questions
Notice the white color,is it natural or maybe underwatered...
spikef35
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Mistral Petite Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
Niles Wall Sconce by Philips Forecast Lighting
$58.00 | Lumens
Sasha II Satin Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture with Honey Glass
$594.00 | Bellacor
ELK Lighting Providence Ceiling Light Gold Leaf 1521/2 - 13W in. - 1521/2
$190.00 | Hayneedle
Bagatelle Antique Silver Three-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal, 10.5W x 12.
$570.00 | Bellacor
Luminescent Rug 9'6" x 13' - PURPLE
$2,489.00 | Horchow
Hughes Leather Sofa - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Hanging Lamp by Coe Studios
$630.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™