Anyone experienced w/ planting Sans. seeds?

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)January 23, 2013

Hi All,

Was at a meeting of my local Indoor Gardening Society last night & someone brought in a nice crowded pot of a Sans. she thought was S. concinna. It had bloomed & had grown berries, some of which had ripened & I asked for one. So I took home one berry, yellow in color, rubbed it on some paper towels & the outer membrane came off the seed. I left the seed wrapped in a paper towel to dry off a bit.

I have't a clue how to proceed, whether I should dry it off some, or just wing it.

Am hoping Norma sees this & has some suggestions for me. Am looking for any feedback at all folks. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsaigai(NY Zone 6)

Hey PG, you lucky gal. How wonderful. Some desert species germinate best with a period of after ripening, (drying for a few weeks/months) I've heard Sansevieria are fine with that. I would rather be safe than sorry, should it be planted too soon, with extra moisture, it may not fare well. For me, I would keep it warmish and dry for at least a month, then plant it in a well drained sterile. soil-less mixture, keeping it 70-80 degrees F. That's is what I would do.

Michael
AOSO (Association of Official Seed Analysts)
Certified Analyst, Purity & Germination
Interlaken NY Z6

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 1:38PM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Karen,
Any updates. How are you planning to grow this. Do you remember my cactus post. I planted some cactus seeds and was successful. I used a take home container. The one with the clear plastic top. It makes the perfect green house for starting seeds. Used a sandy moist (not wet) mix and keep the top almost on tight. Let some air leak in. Keep in a warm spot. Above the refrigerator. After one week, you should see what looks almost like a blade of grass growing from the seed.
Good luck and keep up informed.
Stush

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 1:47PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Guys,

So Michael, you're an Official Seed guy? That's pretty interesting.

Stush, I haven't done anything it yet, am letting it dry, maybe give it a wk or 2 given Michael's comments. Sorry, I don't recall your seedlings. I am a fan of the hinged deli containers if that's what you mean. Tho' I've also devised a variant of that, which I can make taller.

This is a Hoya seedling in one type I use

Next is a Thanksgiving cactus seedling in a triangular hinged container

Of course, one can't really see the containers 'cause I'm trying to show the plant, but thanks for the suggestions all the same. I think my mix here was long spaghnum chopped up & mixed w/ perlite.

I'm fortunate that I can actually give them some direct sun on my kitchen table rather than bottom heat. Above 2 plants are still going over 1 year now.

I'll update when I figure out what I'll do.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:17PM
bonsaigai(NY Zone 6)

PG, Oh yea, that's me, the "official" seed guy. Botanist yes, but trained in seeds too. It's one big mishmash, a salad if you will, of greens. All very poor puns aside...

It's not easy being seedy.

M.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
Sans2014
Help
What's wrong with my sansevieria? Can I do anything...
savana3
What a difference a little heat makes
just thought I'd share this. In cool, gloomy Oregon,...
kwie2011
mushy leaves killing one leaf at a time!
Hello, Im new to this forum and have searched all the...
emarks41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™