Mixed Varieties in one pot

lme5573January 8, 2013

Shopping at a local green house/grocery store, and found this 6" pot of sans - at least 3 different varieties. It looks as though it was the end of the day and they shoved in all the left overs, or maybe they were trying for a bouquet of sans.

I bought it mainly for the big one in the center - no margins, and the backs of the leaves are light green with dark green markings. It is about 12" high.

I see 4 leaves with yellow margins, and I think they are leaves only. It looks like I have 2 or 3 bird's nest tucked in there. One of those is almost black with bright green markings. No margins. I have one pup, and it looks white with green markings, no margins. But it is very young, and will need to grow before I can ID that.

I need opinions - will it hurt to wait till spring to divide it? I would expect to see zero roots if I divided these plants, and I think I might want warmer weather so I can have some success.

I'll add another picture to show more plants. Lennie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lme5573

Another view.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 12:21PM
woodnative(6)

I would wait until Spring to repot.....unless you have them in very warm and light conditons. I wonder if they did shove mixed types together.............or if the margined plant sported the all green one (happens sometimes). You will have to wait until you do decide to unpot to see if they are connected.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 4:09PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Lennie,
I think Woodnative is right. They look like rooted cuttings of Sansevieria trifasciata Laurentii. Which would result in trifasciata. Maybe those leaves were from Sansevieria trifasciata 'Compacta', which would result in Robusta. Which is a wider shorter growing trifasciata. The young would look like the shorter hahnii. I had the same happen to me. Below is the picture.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 11:44AM
lme5573

I agree - the Laurentii has sported. That explains what I was seeing. I'm fascinated. I see lots of variety, each plant has a bit different color, texture or shape. My house is definitely on the cold side, so I will leave it as is and maybe repot in the spring. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 3:56PM
norma_2006

On some species all of the leaves can be different.
So don't be surprised, just enjoy the differences. ll

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 3:27AM
More Discussions
HELP!!! My snake plant is dying
Hi I have a big problem with my snake plants. Please...
mrjoss
How much does a sans grow in a year?
I recently got 2 of these and was wondering how much...
tlbean2004
My list of Sansevieria
List of my Sansevieria;Sansevieria trifasciata Small...
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
Does anyone know what cultivar this is?
Got this for 5 bucks at walmart. Its about 12inches...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™