planting bulbs in SC

matoad_gwJanuary 4, 2012

I am new to this area but wanted to have spring flowers in yard. Bought tulip and daffodill bulbs in the fall. The pkg said to refrigerate if I wouldn't have several weeks of cold weather which I won't. It is now early January. I decided to grow bulbs in large pots above ground- will that work? I am near Savannah so when could I plant them?

Thank you for any help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SueinMtP

You can try. I've never had any luck with bulbs that need chill hours. How long have they been in the fridge?

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 4:00PM
matoad_gw

I didn't quite tell the whole story! I put bulbs in fridge in late Dec or early Jan so 4-5 weeks ago. When would the outside temps be safe for me to plant outside in pots? Thanks, Mary Ann

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:12PM
gusolie

Mary Ann, your approach has fallen way short.

Daffodils are much more forgiving when it comes to chilling hours, but they must be planted in the fall -- such as by the middle of December.

Tulips that don't receive a cumulative 10 to 12 weeks of chilling (temps between 35 and 45 F) may sprout leaves after planting, but either no flower stem forms or the bud is stunted and extremely short (a condition called "blasting").

In the future, buy tulip bulbs in October, as soon as they are available. Put them in the refrigerator until at least Thanksgiving, but not later than Dec. 15.

Plant those tulip bulbs in early December, so the bulbs sprout roots in the chilly garden soil and they then sprout and bloom in March.

The "safe outdoor temps" you ask about are irrelevant. Both daffodils and tulips will sprout through chilly, non-frozen soil in winter (Jan, Feb, or March) as the bulbs grow naturally. Freezes and frosts do not affect bulbs that are planted in the ground or in soil in containers.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 8:22PM
matoad_gw

Thank you, Gusolie, very much! I will get it right next fall for sure. This time I put off buying the bulbs because I had no idea they had to be refrigerated and ended up way late.

Thanks again, Mary Ann

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 6:42PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Mary Ann, you shouldn't have to refrigerate daffodils.

In your first post, you said you were in Savannah. Savannah, Georgia? If so, Thanksgiving is a good time to plant spring bulbs in that location.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
How to grow English Lavender in Southeast Georgia
I have a lavender plant, and it is not growing that...
liljekonvall
Help with plants to soak up water please!
We just bought and house and have had nothing but problems...
good9258
Liriope Diseases
Does anyone else have a problem with their liriopes...
kathleen_mcclellan
Hello -New here
Hi everyone. I was looking up "how to grow parsnips...
Marsha_OBeach
Damaged Korean Stewartia
We had torrential heavy rain here awhile back and our...
ncstockguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™