When do I prune pineapple sage that is still blooming?

GardenGranny(7)March 11, 2005

My pineapple sage has bloomed all winter and continues to put out new blooms. It is in a pot in the backyard surrounded by other pots of various kinds of salvia. I have made several attempts at growing pineapple sage and this is the first year I have had any blooms. When do I prune it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

Why do you want to prune it? Is it too big? I never prune my pineapple sages. Of course mine are planted in the ground, and I want them to continue to grow.

Bookmark   March 12, 2005 at 4:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpotter(z9/sunset15 CA)

This is the first year that the frost didn't make my plant look all ratty. I am still letting mine bloom because it is so beautiful. Before, I pruned it down to about a foot tall by this time of the year. Last year we had a frost as late as early April and slight damage ocurred to the new foliage. A few weeks later, new growth covered all the damaged stuff and the plant grew like gangbusters. I will prune out most of the older stems pretty soon and apply lots of newly-made compost, but I think I will let the flowers just do their thing until they slow down. The golden finches and hummingbirds sure appreciate it.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Botanical name for a Salvia?
I have a Salvia coccinea "Molly Ivens". I...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Could you please help me identify this salvia?
Hi. A friend's mother gave me a division of this plant...
rross
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
how to pollinate Salvia wagneriana
Hi, Received this as a cutting and it has mushroomed...
seedmoney
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™