If you could only have just one Salvia ...

susan82(So. CA)March 30, 2010

... which one would you grow?

For me it would be Indigo Spires. It is a gorgeous plant with beautiful flowers, has a long blooming season, it is easy to maintain, and of course, the hummingbirds love it!

How about you?

~Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

s. leucantha.....

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 7:39PM
CA Kate

S. involucrata "Mulberry Jam" --- the Hummers would agree.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 10:54PM
desertsage(7b USDA Sunset 10)

S. greggii, if it doesn't bloom all year, it is always the first bloom of spring, and the last plant blooming in the fall. And of course the hummers live it.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 8:44AM
helena_z8_ms

A pink salvia micropylla that's the first to bloom for me.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 8:45AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Helena, would that be either S. microphylla neurepia (likely), La Trinidad Pink (likely), or Wild Watermelon (not so likely). Also do you have Salvia gesneraeflora x mexicana Raspberry Truffle?

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 10:55AM
dicot

S. clevelandii has the best combo of smell, flowers and 12 month long shape in my yard, so I'm tempted to choose it. I do like apiana quite a bit too.

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 7:23PM
hybridsage

Salvia greggii so many forms,colors and more coming.
Art

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 11:09PM
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

My interest is the Audibertia group, and S. clevelandii is my favorite. The aroma wafting over from my native plant slope in the evening is heavenly.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 2:33PM
robinmi_gw

Very difficult question!!! For me in the cold winter, Salvia leucocephala is the most stunning Salvia in my heated greenhouse. Such a joy to see this every day whilst the garden is bare. A close 2nd would be Salvia heerii.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 5:45PM
helena_z8_ms

Rich, I have lost the name tag to this salvia microphylla and it seems I've had it forever. I also have s. microphylla neurepia, it's coming back nicely and is a good bloomer for me. I like it a lot too. Unfortunately I lost s. gesneraeflora x mexicana Raspberry Truffle about 2 years ago or so. Hope you are able to get it back.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 7:28PM
dyhgarden(7b)

If my Indigo Spires returns, then that's my favorite. The guaranitica are just now showing foliage in my garden, so I'm still hopeful.

Otherwise--I have so many colors of greggii. Very reliable and rewarding, so I'm adding 'Yellow Cloud' for another color scheme.

I have a Salvia pachyphylla on order. I just have to try it in spite of our humidity.

Cameron

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 10:10PM
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

I've only tried S. pachyphylla from cuttings and never been able to get them to survive. Maybe it'll be easier from seed. This is a plant that likes a dry climate and cool/cold nights, even in summer. See my photos in another thread, taken in the Santa Rosa Mtns. at 7000 ft.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 3:28AM
jimcrick

Salvia curviflora is hard to beat.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 2:36PM
robinmi_gw

Agree!!!!! Salvia curviflora is outstanding........but needs protection from strong winds, as is rather brittle.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 5:36PM
kelpmermaid(10S24)

I'm with dicot -- s. clevelandii. That smell is California to me.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 12:18PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

If my Indigo Spires returns, then that's my favorite. The guaranitica are just now showing foliage in my garden, so I'm still hopeful.

Otherwise--I have so many colors of greggii. Very reliable and rewarding

Ditto. The greggi are so easy to "divide" everytime I move them too and are semi evergreen here.
My black and blues are hardy but slow to get going. They are up by about an inch. The greggii all have buds now
and so do the caradonna.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 9:07AM
voodoobrew

I've been avoiding this thread because it's too difficult to answer. :) The salvias that I love for their blooms tend to be short lived... so I'm going to have to answer the microphyllas, greggiis, and all their hybrids (yes, I realize that is more than one, LOL). They bloom here practically all year long, and my hummingbirds adore them. Currently, I really like Shell Dancer. UCB Pink was, I believe, the first salvia I planted in my current garden, and still one of my favorites. I picked a few more up today... one is apparently a new hybrid: Berkeley Barb. Check out the many microphyllas propagated by this nursery, and click links for photos:

http://montereybaynsy.com/S.htm

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 6:51PM
cottonball

I love the salvia hybrid Mystic Spires Blue. I don't know why they say it's blue because it seems a deep purple to me. It's been a prolific bloomer from spring until is frost. It's showier than some of the other non-hybrid varieties and blooms non-stop in a mounded, upright habit. I have a number of greggii's which I love and am trying some microphylla's this year.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Salvia Madrensis dormancy
I purchased two gallon pots at a plant sale this fall,...
fairfield8619
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™