I need an ID for this.

PeaBee4(9a)January 14, 2004

Please go over to The Gallery on the Garden Party Forum and check out this picture.

It is a small shrub that grows along a salt marsh and the causeways. The berries are small, hard, bright red and waxy looking. They are borne in clusters on the branches of the bush and have little or no stems. It bears the berries in the late fall and winter.

My husband calls it a Scenic Berry. I call it Seneca. I suspect that neither is correct.

Anyone know?

Thanks

PB

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jambu

It looks like an Ilex species (holly).

It's not Dahoon or possumhaw though--the shurb is much too small, especially for dahoon (even though it grows in wet areas).

I wonder if its a form of yaupon holly....

Bookmark   January 14, 2004 at 11:08PM
PeaBee4(9a)

Thanks, I agree that it is some kind of Ilex. I feel that it must have a common name as most of the wild things do. I did a search on both dahoon and possumhaw, but neither of them mention salt tolerance. It doesn't seem to be bothered by conditions that would kill fresh water bog plants. The leaves aren't right either.

This particular bush grows right on the edge of a marsh and its roots will be washed with salt water twice a day as the tide comes in. It could be a variety of the yaupon. The leaf looks more like a yaupon.

Oh well, I can always just tell the DH that's it's a Seneca Berry and he can tell me that it's a Scenic Berry. The marriage will survive!!

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 7:09AM
jambu

I was also toiling last night and thought of inkberry (I. glabra), since they do stand wet feet and some salt...

But, inkberries are normally black, although a white cultivar or subspecies exists.

So, I'm wondering too.

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 7:39PM
eric7(8B SC COAST)

PB,
Yes, it is most likely Yaupon Holly. I have two large specimens in my yard along with many other smaller ones scattered along the woodline. They have a weeping habit once they get to be of some size. The mockingbirds love the berries and they are very tolerant of drought and less than ideal conditions.

Eric D

Bookmark   January 18, 2004 at 1:19AM
treebait(9a NE Fl)

This grows all over my area. We call it Indian Hawthorn.

Bookmark   January 23, 2004 at 2:02PM
jambu

Indian Hawthorn berries are not red, they're black. Then again, Indian Hawthorn (Rhaphiolepis indica) won't be an ubiquitous exotic that is all over...

Bookmark   January 26, 2004 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
Where are all the worms?
I moved to Murrells Inlet from Connecticut last June....
Ralph Thayer
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
Damaged Korean Stewartia
We had torrential heavy rain here awhile back and our...
ncstockguy
Hello -New here
Hi everyone. I was looking up "how to grow parsnips...
Marsha_OBeach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™