? on Lady in Red

ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7aMarch 25, 2009

Hi,

I Winter Sowed Lady in Red, and I actually sowed them too early (Feb). So now they are germinated - out-of-doors - in my container. Even during the 20 degree nights, they did ok, I cover them up.

I'm wondering how low a temp they can stand without me covering them.

I know frost will kill them, but is that the limit?

So 36 degrees for example is OK?

Just wondering when I can stop covering them. I don't plan to put them in the garden until post-frost date.

thanks for any info,

ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hybridsage

ellenr:
Stop covering them after all danger of frost is past.Lady in red should set seed for you.It would be a
good idea to take cuttings of them in the summer so
when they don't make it through your winter you still
have plants for next year.
Art

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 9:04PM
wardda

I am amazed they survived outside since temps went into the teens at the end of February. Maybe if you continue to cover them they will make it now. Presumably there is still ungerminated seed out there. Normally the species will not germinate until the ground has warmed - sometime in May. Coccinea reseeds like crazy in New Jersey.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 12:41PM
nanny56(IN 5b)

How would you care for the cutting over winter. I have WS'd some also.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 2:06PM
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a

Wardaa,
Yes I should have Winter Sown them end of March/beg. April, then they would have germinated right in time to be planted out in warm temps. Now I have to keep them alive in the container til I can plant them out.
I've heard many people say Cocchinea re-seeds as you say, but for me it doesn't. Just a couple of plants. Every year I dream of having a whole area with nothing but them, but hasn't happened.
By Wintersowing them I get pretty good germination, about 75%. I also have black and blue Salvia, which germinated *real* well, the whole container is full of them, they are so tiny and cute.

ellen

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 4:50PM
wardda

there is still time to plant seeds. You could just surface sow a whole batch into a pot and then seperate them into cells at the end of the month. I will have coccinea as part of a plant sale at Palmyra Cove Nature Park on 4/25/09 - fundraiser for the gardens there.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 12:27PM
newbie_in_nj(6b E/Central NJ)

I sowed Lady in Red and Coral Nymph inside and they germinated very well. First time trying anything inside so hopefully I won't kill them before it's time to harden off and plant.

I have more seed and should spring sow some of both outside so I know I have some that are weather toughened.

The Hummingbirds loved the Lady in Red last year. It was the first time I ever saw a Hummingbird in person and up close.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Salvia Seed Sowing here's how:
I've been noticing several questions about salvia seed...
Salvia_guy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™