Question about Drought Tolerant Types

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bMarch 4, 2014

1/3 of our property has no irrigation, and we keep it cleared 15' from our fence. We own down to a seasonal stream and up the hill.

Always a fire danger here. There is a wild oak near the seasonal stream, and the rest of it is native shrubs and weeds.

I'd like to mingle some salvias down there with the natives and wondering how to give them a start.

I have seeds on the way, and I can take cuttings of the one I have, or divide it.

How do you give them a start with zero irrigation?

Do I have to walk down there daily with a watering can?

Thanks for your help!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I am not from california but I do have acreage in a semi arid area that is hot as h_ll. I usually plant in fall any plants unless they are marginally cold hardy , or in early spring, I let them establish roots over the winter and give them a bi weekly watering if there is no rain in the heat of summer for the first year, Then they are on their own. I am not a Californian and I do not plant californian natives. I live with a rain water system for ALL my needs so irrigation of plants are only for the young ones.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 10:20PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Thank you! I'll plant seeds in fall and hopefully the rains will get them started!

I'm not a fan of going down that treacherous hill, but I'd love to view some pretty wildflowers in the canyon and across. I have a hiking staff for stability and to flip off the occasional snake I may encounter.

Good advice!

Suzi

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 8:43AM
CA Kate

Seeds in the Fall will be a good idea. When on our big property I would buy the small plants when ever I found them, repot them to 1 gal size container and allow to grow a really good root system over the summer. Then in the Fall, when very little is available, I would plant my now bigger, more robust plants in the landscape trying not to disturb the root-mass anymore than necessary. If you don't get enough rain you will need to water over the winter. This was the only way I could keep new plants alive over our hot, dry summers.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
My savlia Greggi red turned out to be Hot Lips...
In January I bought some 5 gallon salvias- I specifically...
Sabine Halfhill
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Meadow Sage Splaying
The plant looks lovely all the way up to and pretty...
florananny
CA Sages in Bloom
There's a canyon I jog through that is full of sages....
anygreen
salvia discolor
I have been able to overwinter my salvia discolor in...
duane456
Sponsored Products
36-inch Stainless Steel Cook Number Grill on Cart
FRONTGATE
Baltimore Ravens Fiber Optic House Flag
$26.99 | zulily
LEM Piston Stool - Wood Seat
Design Within Reach
Lily Amber Fusion Jack Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$215.28 | Bellacor
Ultimate Truffle Collection - GOLD
$165.00 | Horchow