first ever south-facing garden space

mhagood(8a Virginia)February 17, 2005

After all these years of urban gardening, calling four hours in the morning or mid-day "full sun," I finally have a south-facing little front yard with good sandy, loamy soil and a slope and everything. I have room for vegetables elsewhere, so am getting serious about flowers for the first time. General question is --- will "full sun" (at least till 4 in the afternoon in the summer) simply fry most flowers in zone 8a? (I'm at the northern tip of the forum's coverage, I think!) Should I plan to manufacture some shade? I wonder because I've usually managed to grow perfectly good peas, beans, tomatoes and peppers with much less than what the standard (Vermont and Maine-published) garden books call "full sun." What's your experience? I don't mind watering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Theresa24(8b/9a NE FL)

I have lived in Virginia (although zone 7) and never had to worry about too much sun for "full sun" plants. It took me a long time to retrain my thinking when I moved here but I think you will be okay up there....of course it will depend on what you are thinking of planting.....Roses, Mallows, Salvias etc. will love your new full sun area but I wouldn't plant Heucheras there in zone 8 (my Mother does in Zone 5). You might try posting this question to the Southern Gardening forum where you will find more gardeners from the Virginia/Piedmont area.

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Where are all the worms?
I moved to Murrells Inlet from Connecticut last June....
Ralph Thayer
Help with plants to soak up water please!
We just bought and house and have had nothing but problems...
good9258
Will Daffodils grow in Myrtle Beach SC? [xpost]
This is my first year in Murrells Inlet (S of Myrtle...
Ralph Thayer
Peach Thieves
we have a peach thief problem. Last year when our dwarf...
rem1061
Preparing plants for Drywood Termite Tenting
Next week my house is getting tented because of drywood termites....
gardenbysarasota
Sponsored Products
Westwood 24 1/4" High Gold Stand Mirror
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Chocolate/Terracotta 8
Home Depot
Cambridge 25-inch Black Counter Swivel Stool with Black Vinyl Cushion Seat
Overstock.com
18" Teak Cross Pattern Planter
Signature Hardware
Hammary Mercantile Desk Chair
Beyond Stores
Bath Authority DreamLine Aqua Ultra Frameless Hinged Tub Door (48")
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™