Salvia I.D. needed

annette68_gwMarch 30, 2007

Hi Everybody,

I sowed some seeds I received as Salvia Lemmonnii last year, this plant has now flowered and it is not lemmonnii or a greggii type flower, it is more coccinea looking but the foliage is not, very brittle and I have never seen anything like it.

Any Ideas.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Salvia Flower/Bud

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

It might be one of the involucrata, maybe Mulberry Jam. You didn't get any of the leaves, but the stems to involucrata are quite brittle... as our Peeping Tom soon found out, and much to my dismay.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 7:58PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

We really need to see an image of the foliage. My first impression was that it might be Salvia rubescens var. truxilensis, from Ginny Hunt. The growing tip does not look at all like involucrata or a hybrid. Involucrata and puberula do not set seed well.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 11:54PM
annette68_gw

I agree that it is not involucrata or puberula which I do have.Here is a close up off the foliage.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Close up off foliage

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 12:38AM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

If I just saw the foliage, I would guess Scutellaria longifolia Purple Rain. The flower is the right size and color, but it is clearly a Salvia. The first image is a top down view. Can we get a side view?

It is clearly not Mulberry Jam or a hybrid of involucrata, either. Time to call in Robin and Christian Froissart.

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 10:38AM
robinmi_gw

Thanks, Rich, for suggesting me, but I have no idea! Doesn't look like the rubescens which I have, which never flowers anyway! It is intriguing however!

Robin.

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 2:03PM
annette68_gw

Here is a pic off the flower and the side view on flickr,when it loads you will see a pic on the photostream in a tubepot, this is the same salvia but 2 months ago and when it was younger the foliage was so unique with very larg leaves and little leaves on the stem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown Salvia

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 5:38PM
gerris2

Pretty plant there, Annette!

Joseph

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 12:51PM
robinmi_gw

I wonder if it could be a North American species?

Robinn.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 2:38PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

It is definitely a New World sage, adapted to a climate like the Central American Scutellarias and Salvia buchananii.

The zigzaging of the stem is not that unusual. Every now and then, I get a shoot off a sage where opposite patrs of nodes seem to get deactivated in an alternating pattern. The axillary stems off these are usually normal.

Another occasional development in axillary growth is for the stem to have 6-fold symmetry, with 6 vascular bundles and leaves coming out in whorls of three. In the case of Westringias, this is normal, and the vascular bundles progress to a normal of 8 per stem. I've not seen seedlings of this genus, but I assume they start out with the normal 4 vascular bundles.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Help with identity
This large (10 feet or so) salvia has very dark flower...
johnburtonstutz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™