Magnolia seedlings

DonBrinser(z6 MD)March 23, 2005

Being from Maryland, I don't usually visit this thread. Recently, however, we made a brief trip to Columbia, South Carolina, and I was astonished to see so many Magnolia grandiflora growing wild - obvious seedlings - in the woodlands, particularly near the edges of swampy areas. My question is, o gardeners of coastal southeast:are these truely native, or is the climate simply ideal for seedling growth of what would basically be an introduced species ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Don,
I'ts a native tree, and was growing in the wild, just as you saw it, long before Europeans - and probably before the 'native' Americans came. Birds eat the seeds, and deposit them hither and yon.
I've been gone from my native AL for close to 20 years now, and had largely forgotten how common 'wild' M.grandiflora seedlings were in the forests until we took a trip to Gulf shores last spring. They're everywhere.
Although M.grandiflora, and M.virginiana are common in landscape plantings here in western KY, I can't say that I've ever seen an 'volunteer' seedling up here, though I can grow 'em from seed very easily, and the bigleaf magnolia clan(cucumbertree, bigleaf, umbrella) is pretty prominent in the wild when you get over into the eastern part of the state.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 12:54PM
DonBrinser(z6 MD)

Thanks for the note, Lucky. Yes, I knew Mag.g. is native in La. & Ga. - I probably didn't express my question clearly. Sometimes a plant will naturalize in an ideal environment to which it isn't native (kudzu, lonicera, etc). I didn't expect Mag. g. to be growing wild as far "north" as S. Carolina. So, I suppose the question more correctly would be: is it occurring in natural distribution, or by inroduction. We have some of the deciduous ones (cucumber) native as far north as western Maryland, and the Mag. vir. is native in southern Maryland. All are wonderful trees !

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 5:38PM
happy123(8b)

How hard is it to grow grandiflora from seeds?

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 8:01PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Bull Bay Magnolia is probably not native to the Piedmont and Mountain areas of S. Carolina, but certainly is in the Lowcountry.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 9:25PM
Kizzylaveeda

I have a couple of 2 yr. old M. grandifloras in pots that I grew from seed. The seeds shouldn't be allowed to dry out. I kept mine vernalized for 3 months before sowing, but I would think winter sowing would be easier!

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Hours, you need help
Houzz, do you need help. Maybe someone who Can read...
josephene_gw
Little gem diseases
This is the 2nd year that I have grown little gem magnolias....
glogirll-2009
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
Agapanthus problems
My Peter Pan agapanthus leaves are unusually limp and...
spanishmosslady
Help with plants to soak up water please!
We just bought and house and have had nothing but problems...
good9258
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™