Lilacs

stonewallwillMarch 8, 2008

This will be our first Spring in this house as well as the first lilac bloom of both of our lives. Is there any way to tell what shade the blooms will be ahead of time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you sure that you have lilacs? They are not known to be happy in the longs months of zone 8 heat and humidity.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 2:49PM
stonewallwill

Definitely a lilac. Fairly good sized one, too. We moved in this past Fall before she had dropped all of her leaves and aside from some vines that the previous tenants allowed to grow out of control, she seemed pretty healthy. However, the blooms were long gone so I'm not real sure how they'll react to the heat.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 5:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

To answer your original question, there is no way to tell the color of a lilac when it's not blooming.

BTW, it's not the flowers that are particularly sensitive to the heat....it's the entire plant that suffers from it, as well as the lack of enough cold weather. I lived in the coastal area for over 20 years and don't think I ever saw a lilac.

Do you mind letting me know where you're located? I'm curious. You can email me directly, if you like.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 3:50PM
laurabs(7b)

Miss Kim is one lilac that survives heat and humidity like we have in NC. I don't like it that much, though.

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Where are you? NC
I found a very old thread with this subject and being...
mynxr
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
Agapanthus problems
My Peter Pan agapanthus leaves are unusually limp and...
spanishmosslady
Growing Pecan Trees
We are interested in planting two pecan trees. I've...
kathy_fl_panhandle
How to grow English Lavender in Southeast Georgia
I have a lavender plant, and it is not growing that...
liljekonvall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™