Growth habits

MojaveLove(5 - IL)February 25, 2011

I can't recall the name off the top of my head but I have the common Sans with the yellow outline and zig-zaggy variegation. Are these plants slow growing? It's a few feet from a southern window and gets direct morning sun in the winter. When I bought it I didn't know better at the time and put it in potting soil (plan to fix that when it warms up). I honestly don't know how much it has grown, maybe an inch or so at the most. Is this pretty normal growth for about a year? I'm guessing it grows the most in spring - I didn't have it last spring so haven't seen it in the spring yet. It didn't take off in fall, any growth has been steady the whole time, no growth spurts that I noticed. No new pups either, though it wouldn't have room and there are already 4 or 5.

Also, when I bought it from HD it was the healthiest looking one but still had a few callused cracks in the leaves. What causes that, drought?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norma_2006

That is a common S.sansevieria trifasciata some don't come with yellow borders. Plants can crack their leaves when handled incorrectly when being delivered or if they dry out many other causes as well, don't let that worry you, you plant looks fine. I notice that your plant has a twist to the leave, or waves, so it could just be a sport or different clone, it is very attractive. Norma

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 3:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MojaveLove(5 - IL)

Thanks Norma! I like the waves too :)

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Is my Whitney ok? What should I do?
On of the favorites in my modest collection, my new...
vivaria
Photo album (for Sans)
Using the "project" thingie on here, I made...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sansevieria Whitney? at Ikea
My husband and I were at the South Philadelphia, PA...
akrrm
plantnut2011
snake plant keeps dying
Greetings, my snake plant that I keep in a room (temperature...
cicak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™