Salvia regla seed germination

browneyedsusan_gw(8a)March 16, 2014

I harvested a lot of S. regla seed last fall. I would appreciate any advice on how to germinate the seeds. Thanks,
Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Are the seeds large, about 1/8 inch, deep brown with clean surfaces? Seed like this is ideal, but seed with a whitish cast may germinate well, providing there is no mold. See the attached image to gauge the correct size and shape.

The image is for S. regla Jame (Coahuila), which I introduced back in the early 90s. Note the size of the seed versus the size of the gynobase before and after fertilization. Much of the time, only one or two of the nutlets get fertilized.

You can plant the seed on top of the media, with or without a dusting of fine milled sphagnum to help maintain humidity around the seed. I use grow lights with bottom heat set at 70 degrees, and check daily to see if I need to mist the seeds. If the flat starts to dry, I bottom water the flat. I use fine vermiculite for the germination medium, or some other sterile medium, never dirt.

Keep the seeds spaced about 1/2 inch apart

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

Rich,
Your pictures are neat. The seeds I harvested are large, smooth and brown and as you said, in most of the calyces there was only one seed. No mold at all. I appreciate your advice and am look forward to starting them this weekend.

Thanks,
Susan

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
dormancy issue question on my salvia reptans?
All of my different salvia's are coming back now except...
loganlady
Stachys albotomentosa
Slightly off topic, but could use advice from the pros...Does...
seedmoney
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
seedling cold tolerance
I have a flat or so of salvia coccinea that I have...
bakerhardwoods
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™