brussel sprout blooms but no sprouts...

ncstockguy(Zone7 NC)April 25, 2006

The brussel sprouts we planted last fall are now around 3 feet tall and covered with yellow blooms, but no sprouts for eating. We haven't grown these before....will they just go to seed now, or are the sprouts still to come?

Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm not sure about the timing of your planting. Cold temperatures strongly induce flowering in these plants. I'm not even sure that removal of the flower stalk could have prevented this process.

Once this plant flowers heavily and goes to seed, it will no longer devote energy to bud (sprout) development. Seems like these plants should be planted in the late summer for fall harvest or in the early spring for summer harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 2:22PM
ncstockguy(Zone7 NC)

Thanks. Ours never had anything resembling the load of brussel sprouts in that picture. I must have planted these too late. They survived the winter OK but never had any sprouts. Will now harvest the seeds and try again in August.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 8:55PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you planted a nice hybrid cultivar, then I suggest against harvesting seeds for a future crop. Your plants will not develop true from the seed.

Take a look at your local planting guides carefully. In your area, you will want to plant so that you are HARVESTING in the fall/winter...........or in the late spring. You don't want your plants to overwinter.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Need advice on weird plants for Seuss garden
Hi, I'm a very novice gardener, especially to this...
highjumpgirl
Damaged Korean Stewartia
We had torrential heavy rain here awhile back and our...
ncstockguy
Growing Pecan Trees
We are interested in planting two pecan trees. I've...
kathy_fl_panhandle
Myrtle Beach area
I am in myrtle beach and would like to get the names...
dixiedoll
How to grow English Lavender in Southeast Georgia
I have a lavender plant, and it is not growing that...
liljekonvall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™