Guaranitca cross

penny1947(z6 WNY)April 24, 2007

What is the possibility of S. guaranitica crossing with a microphylla? I ask this b/c one of the sports from my Black and Blue last year had red flowers and bloomed late summer until a hard freeze. At the time I collected the seed from my B&B I also had Wild Watermelon growing in close proximity. The leaves have the 'odor' of my B&B but they are shaped more like Wild Watermelon. They are also have a soft dwney feel.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I would not be surprised that guaranitica and microphylla would cross, but the hybrid would be sterile. Guaranitica has crossed with gesneraeflora (Purple Majesty), splendens (Black Night), and cardinalis form of fulgens? (Betsy's Choice). Though the chromosome number of guaranitica differs from the other parent, they still crossed. Microphylla has the same base number as gesneriiflora and fulgens, I believe.

Penny, do you have an image of the red guaranitica you can post?

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

Rich,
I don't have an image yet. I plan to get a picture of it as soon as it comes back into bloom.

At first I thought it may have crossed with coccinea as I had forgotten about my microphylla. wnile doing some watering and plant clean up the other day I noted that the leaves were actually much smaller than my coccineas and very small compared to the Black & Blue and were shaped more like the microphylla. Last year it bloomed in late summer. I hope it will bloom sooner this year so I don't have to wait that long for a photo.

Penny

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
need tips on germinating Salvia roemeriana
Hi, A friend from Texas sent me seeds of Cedar Sage...
seedmoney
Salvia regla 'Mt. Emory' source?
I am looking for a source of Salvia regla "Mt....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Identity crisis ...
This very tall salvia (like 10 feet or so) has very...
johnburtonstutz
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™