Salvia argentea

Ralph Whisnant(z7b-8 NC)April 21, 2011

I have a couple of S. argentea that I would like to propagate. Betsy Clebsch talks about letting them go to seed in order to get new plants. Unfortunately, allowing them to flower and set seed also shortens their life. Anyone have any experience or suggestions for asexual propagation? Also, can these plants be crossed with any other Salvia species?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinmi_gw

If you have a couple...........let one go to seed, and dead-head the other! Even with dead-heading, this Salvia can still behave as a biennial. Sure you are aware, but take maximum precautions against slugs and snails, it is their S. divinorum!

Asexual propagation is not easy with this species...can be done from new shoots, but success rate not good.

Re crossing, certainly possible if you grow other Salvias from similar regions...Eastern Europe and North-West Africa ...in close proximity.

Grown from seed, flower spikes appear in the 2nd year.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 1:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

I second what Robin has said, but add that in Denver and the rest of the Front Range of the American Rocky Mountains, it behaves as a true perennial. Some plants have reached 15 and even 22 years!

The Eurasian steppe sages do fabulously there. This means those from the central plateau of Turkey, Iran, as well as Russia and the former Soviet states to the west of India.These can be very hard to do on the east coast of the USA, especially the subtropical southeastern states.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Can I winter sow Salvia 'Clary Mix'? Or do I need a greenhouse?
I have salvia 'Clary Mix'? Does anyone have experience...
ladyrose65
salvia clevelandii
decided to have another go at clevelandii this autumn....
davids10 z7a nv.
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
seedling cold tolerance
I have a flat or so of salvia coccinea that I have...
bakerhardwoods
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™