wysteria

bakersuzie(8)May 2, 2012

Someone gave me a wysteria vine about 6 yrs ago and I planted it on my pergola. BIG MISTAKE!! I think it is the old fashion kind that you see in the woods. (according to the long purple blooms on it.) Needless to say it has lived and thrived to the point that runners are everywhere. They are even coming up thru the decking boards on the deck of my pergola and spreading to the nearby trees next to the pergola. Although this plant is lovely in the spring when it blooms it has become a real nuisance. I have decided to cut it down and replace it with something much less invasive. Will cutting it down kill it or will these runners keep popping up? Are there any varieties of this plant that are not as invasive. If not what is another vine that will cover the top of my pergola and give me some shade but stay put and not have all these ground runners.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I don't know which species of Wisteria you have, but I just bought American Wisteria (Wisteria frutescens) and it is supposed to be much less invasive compared to the Asiatic species. I had to take down my Chinese or Japanese Wisteria when a new fence was installed. The native American species is very beatiful too though the flowers are said not to be as aromatic.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaxondel

Both Chinese and Japanese wisteria are available as grafted plants, but it sounds as though the plant you were given was on its own roots. If that's the case, the answer to your question about "runners" is yes, top growth will continue to pop up, probably for years. Cutting the vine to the ground sends an SOS signal to the roots, so you may notice an increase in the number of "volunteers". Keep an eagle eye out for them and be ruthless in whacking them out or treating them with an herbicide ASAP. Top growth provides energy to the roots, enabling them to continue to spread.

The following link offers some info you might consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wysteria Extermination

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Help with plants to soak up water please!
We just bought and house and have had nothing but problems...
good9258
Mosquito Repellent Plants
I read that "I'd Know I'm a SE Coastal Gardener...
cheryl_griggs
Hello -New here
Hi everyone. I was looking up "how to grow parsnips...
Marsha_OBeach
Need advice on weird plants for Seuss garden
Hi, I'm a very novice gardener, especially to this...
highjumpgirl
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™