Suggestions for fragrant plants wanted.

ormond-janni(Zone 9)May 28, 2006

Hello,

I'd like to add fragrant plants to my patio garden. I don't have a lot of room, but was thinking of tuberoses, freesias &/or lilies of the valley. We do have salt in the breezes here and I don't know if they would be happy. Input, or suggestions for other frangrant plants would be appreciated.

Janni

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sprout(z8b/9 Houston)

I highly recommend Sweet Almond Verbena (Aloysia virgata).

It is a great small tree/shrub that puts out wave after wave of white flowers all summer long that perfume your entire yard!! I think it smells like SweetTarts!. Very easy to grow; no pest problems and in your zone it will be hardy.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 8:37AM
savannarose(9)

Tuberoses have grown OK for me and the fragrance is wonderful. Ditto for gingerlilies, tea olive, and angel trumpet (datura). (These all have a stronger smell at night.) Gardenias, too, of course but they're finicky.
Don't think lilies of the valley will work in your climate.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:25PM
mrskjun(9)

What about jasmines, I have confederate, maid of orleans, pink, night blooming. Fantastic fragrances.

Betty

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 5:44AM
boowhip

Annual, Mirabilis Jalapa

Four O'Clocks. Bright trumpet shaped flowers. Four O'Clocks got their name because they open in mid-afternoon. They remain open overnight, and close in early morning. They will also remain open on cloudy days. They are also noted for their strong, pleasant fragrance.

Four O'Clock are typically grown from large seeds, making them easy to plant. They germinate quickly, and grow fast, up to 2-4 feet.

Four O'Clock prefer full sun, but will tolerate partial shade.

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 2:51PM
ncstockguy(Zone7 NC)

I agree on the Four O'Clocks. Ours are very fragrant from late afternoon well into the following morning, until they close up.
We have some seeds in case anyone wants to try them out, just a few we collected from our backyard garden.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 1:39PM
janet-g(9)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I haven't been here in a while, as I forgot the location of this forum - duh!
Yes, I have jasmine, both Confederate and varigated; but in the bigger area outside my patio. Might try to find that pink one. My angel trumpets and ginger are out there also. That sweet almond verbena sounds great, also.

As for Four-o-Clocks - last spring when I was at the nursery store I saw some seed for them and this slipped out of my mouth -"I never knew people grew them on purpose!" No, it's not that I don't like them, but I have them EVERYWHERE. They just grow and grow and grow. They drop seeds and get these huge turnip-type roots. I guess I'm just over blessed!
Janni

Here is a link that might be useful: Janni's garden

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
How can i make distributor of expandable garden hose
We are Manufacturer of [url]expandable garden hose[/url], i...
gardenhosefty
Liriope Diseases
Does anyone else have a problem with their liriopes...
kathleen_mcclellan
pruning 5 yr old live oak
I don't think it's ever been pruned but I don't know...
matoad_gw
Growing Pecan Trees
We are interested in planting two pecan trees. I've...
kathy_fl_panhandle
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™