Fruit Trees Good For Charleston?

edacusJune 6, 2006

Recently moved back to Charleston area and live downtown near the Citadel. Any suggestions for a fruit tree that would do well, we aren't in a frequent flood area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

I did a lot of research on the Clemson Extention pages (on-line). As a result I planted Arkansas Black and Fuji apples along with two others that I can't remember the names of now.

However those apples were selected based on Clemson's recommendations for the S.C. midlands. Thier papers take a lot of 'wading through' to decipher all of the information but it is a great resource because you can find information very specific to your area.

I have also planted a peach and plum and I have since learned that, while they will thrive in this area, consistently getting a good crop will be difficult unless I want to be a slave to spraying and assorted chemicals.

Pear trees in this area seem to do very well with a minimum of care. I have seen several that recieve NO care whatsoever and produce great pears every year. My two pears are producing the first year.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 3:36PM
idixierose(z8b Coastal SC)

Brown Turkey figs are my most easy-care fruit trees.
Other figs that have done OK for me include Bordeaux, Alma, Celeste and Green Ischia.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 4:21PM
cindyabs

I'm trying a pineapple guava myself down here by Savannah. Here's hoping.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 6:44AM
dataw1127

Satsuma tangelos and meyer Lemons are foolproof for downtown Chas. and there are a lot of other citrus you can experiment with. You can get some interesting varieties of figs from Pete's Herb's and they always have a booth at the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings.

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 5:37PM
pagan(8b)

I personally have seen an orange tree bearing fruit in West Ashley, and an orange and grapefruit trees with fruit on John's Island. It's worth a try!

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 9:35AM
citrusman99(8 SC)

Definitely it's citrus, citrus,citrus. You can grow grapefruits, oranges, mandarins, kumquats and much more. Not to mention the fact that they are so 'knock out' pretty when the fruit ripens. Try taking some samples of fresh tree ripened fruit to your co-workers, you will be on everybody's "best friend" list!

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Peach Thieves
we have a peach thief problem. Last year when our dwarf...
rem1061
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
My Sweet Basil Looks Sad! Help?
I bought a small, healthy Sweet Basil plant from Bonnie...
liljekonvall
Pensacola info needed???
Someone who lives in Pensacola. I will be visiting...
Brandi_AL
Mosquito Repellent Plants
I read that "I'd Know I'm a SE Coastal Gardener...
cheryl_griggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™