Best friends

josmikMarch 1, 2014

Hi there! I'd just like to refresh the forum by adding some new pics.. this one is about proven frindship between sansevierias and orchids.. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josmik

.. this is more friendship on the north facing windowsill..

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:24AM
josmik

My Golden Hahniis enjoyed and obviously thrived this winter..

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:45AM
josmik

.. I'm gladly surprised with an unusual pattern on the new shoots of Green Hahnii..

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:51AM
josmik

.. look at the abundant foliage and rhythmic colouration.. isn't she irresitable?!..

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:58AM
josmik

.. variegation and colouration forms on the leaves are just endless..

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 3:04AM
josmik

.. I think this is beyond ornamental.. :)

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 3:07AM
josmik

.. a year and a half ago I gave a small S. Cylindrica to my friend.. in the meantime it turned into a very nice plant with the longest leaf reaching more than 1 m and with an obvious intent to treat us with a bloom... :)

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 3:16AM
barbmock

Thank you for posting these lovely photos. All your plants are so perfect. I agree, your orchids and sans are the best of friends.

Could you give me some growing tips on hahniis? Mine seem to suffer through to winter.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 12:13PM
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Josmik, great pictures, I agree with the mix of plants, so Im sharing a Orchid pic, which is called Epidendrum or Ive heard it called Poormans Orchid, next to and Aeionium.

One question I have about the Orchid is, I've seen this same flower 3 times the size on the same plant and Im not sure if its just the climate or what, the other one was seen at the beach area. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And yes you have freshened up the site, thxz

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 1:39PM
josmik

Thank you Barbara, there are no special tips on growing hahniis.. maybe if you put it in a larger pot then you can expect a larger plant and after that make a selection of larger plants and so on.. any potting medium is ok if you keep them in bright light and warm coditions.. I've experimented with mixing perlite and vermiculite with the soil but there was no difference.. I water them when they dry up which means once a week.. Hahniis are fast growers unless they started like albinos.. look the difference in what I've got with Golen Hahnii leaf cuttings.. the plain green ones are running wild while pale ones keep more on contemplative side.. :)

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 1:45PM
josmik

Thank you Greg! Your beautiful plants remind me of my period living in the Mediterranean part of the country.. I do not know much about orchids but warm climate is a blessing for plants and gardens.. and you are happy one living in the sunny part of the world :) This winter was rather mild here.. only 3 weeks of heavy snow and polar temperatures.. so I made some repottings even in December.. :)

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:06PM

Josmik, this is a picture of the larger one that grows at the beach, same plant but the only difference that I know of is that I live about 35 - 40 miles away inland.
Thxz for the help.

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:19PM

Josmik, this is a picture of the larger one that grows at the beach, same plant but the only difference that I know of is that I live about 35 - 40 miles away inland.
Thxz for the help.

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:21PM

Josmik, great pictures, I agree with the mix of plants, so Im sharing a Orchid pic, which is called Epidendrum or Ive heard it called Poormans Orchid, next to and Aeionium.

One question I have about the Orchid is, I've seen this same flower 3 times the size on the same plant and Im not sure if its just the climate or what, the other one was seen at the beach area. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And yes you have freshened up the site, thxz

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:22PM
barbmock

Thanks Josmik,

Your hahniis are really lush and full. Some of the nicest ones I have seen. I have good light and warmth. The house is quite dry in the winter, i think the poor things are drying out a lot faster than I thought. So, you have given me a good tip after all. Thanks again for all the photos.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:36PM

Heres the picture, just noticed the pic didnt show up.

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:42PM

Heres the picture, just noticed the pic didnt show up.

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:53PM

So sorry for the mass of duplicates.

Greg

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 11:13PM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

Thanks Josmik,
My hat goes off to you. You are a greater plantsman than me. Warm and bright. Just what is the hardest to do during winter. Mine are just surviving and some going wild. Wish all went wild.
Just one more month and I think we will be thru with this winter. The big freeze and snow just missed us. We got cold but only 4 inches of never go away snow.
Stush

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 1:10PM

Josmik, just looking over your plant collection you have here and admiring them they are gorgeous and lush what kind of fertilizer do you treat them with or what are some of your secrets if any, they'd be much appreciated.

Greg

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
My list of Sansevieria
List of my Sansevieria;Sansevieria trifasciata Small...
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
My recurring problem with sansevierias
I've grown a host of succulents for about 30 years....
fungshengwuchi
Sans2014
How much does a sans grow in a year?
I recently got 2 of these and was wondering how much...
tlbean2004
Sansevieria from seed
Does anyone know a good method to sprout Sansevieria...
foxwichya
Sponsored Products
Chrome Plate Stainless Steel Overhead Ceiling Mount Shower Head & Arm
Hudson Reed
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Plum 9 ft. x 12 ft.
Home Depot
Seville Classics Bamboo Bathroom Floor Mat (28 in x 22 in)
Overstock.com
Spot On� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$255.95 | Bellacor
Ove Decors Georgia 42-in. Single Bathroom Vanity - GEORGIA_42
$869.00 | Hayneedle
New 12'x20' Hand Knotted Blue & Ivory Heriz Serapi Wool Oriental Area Rug- H3263
BH Sun Inc
"A New Life" Original Oil Painting
$1,150.00 | Horchow
ChiliPad Mattress Cover - King
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™