Salvia superba

jenn(SoCal 9/19)April 23, 2006

This is the other one I purchased at the plant sale yesterday. I selected it for a smallish sunny spot w/reflective heat where a S. greggii succumbed to too-wet conditions (thanks to all the rain we've had). I did some research and discovered this is a rather common Salvia but one I've never grown before.

The tag says "Salvia superba" and describes the blooms as "blue", but actually they are dark violet-purple. Does anyone know which variety of this species this might be?

Thanks,

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

It may be Blue Queen which is very common

Penny

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 8:37AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thanks Penny.

I'm thinking of dividing it to create a larger grouping than just one plant would make.

Does anyone know if this one spreads at all and needs dividing a few years from now, or can I just divide it now, into possibly 3 divisions, and plant them together, spacing them appropriately, without having to divide them again in just a few years? (Can I add another clause to that sentence to make it longer?? :-)

Jen

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 1:42PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Salvia superba (nemerosa, pratensis, sylvestris, haematodes, whatever) is tap-rooted and needs to be around 6 inches or larger around the base of the roots to be divided well. They will be set back for a while, since the root systems will have been severely disturbed. If it wilts a lot, you will probably have to cut off a few leaves.

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 10:26PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Oh great, sounds like I have another best-guess-labeled garden "experiment". The tag says "Salvia superba" but doesn't say how big it will get. Sunset says the true S. superba can spread 2-3 feet and can sprawl at 5-6 feet. There's no way this plant will fit in the spot I bought it for, and I thought S. superba was a smaller plant. Well, now I know what I'm going to plant that has blue/purple spikes and is low-growing in front of the Westerland rose! But I need to find something else to plant in the spot intended for S. superba.

Thanks Richard for the info about the root and the alternate names.

Jen

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 11:31PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

This complex of sages ranges from the large with pratensis and haematoedes to compact with sterile hybrids like May Night and East Friesland. The main confusion is between the nemerosa and superba names. Besides taxonomic problems, breeding records were either not kept or poorly transmitted.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
seedling cold tolerance
I have a flat or so of salvia coccinea that I have...
bakerhardwoods
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
CA Sages in Bloom
There's a canyon I jog through that is full of sages....
anygreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™