Salvia guarantica 'Brazil'

spazzycat_1April 21, 2009

I planted a Salvia labeled as Salvia 'Brazil' many moons ago (probably around 15 years ago), and today, I consider it one of my very best Salvias. It only blooms in the Fall, but the flowers are huge and spectacular, and best of all, it stays in one place and doesn't tend to colonize a border like many of the other Salvia guaranticas. When I google it however, I get very few hits. Why is this? Why is this cultivar not more popular?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jadegreen_17372

Is this the same one as Salvia 'Black and Blue'? That is the one that i came up with when I googled it. It is one of my favorites too.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 6:53PM
hybridsage

spazzycat
Sounds like you have a variety called 'Costa Rica' but
it usually is not that cold hardy. Flowers in the fall larger flowers etc. I don't know how Salvia mexicana performs for you but it does look like S.guaranitica but flowers are not larger.Look on A World of Salvias and see if that is your plant pictured as Salvia guaranitica 'Costa Rican Blue Sage'.
Art

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 9:04PM
rich_dufresne(z7 NC)

Salvia guaranitica `Brazil' is originally the S. ambigens sold by Logee's Greenhouses back in the 70s. A few years after I acquired it, S. ambigens was combined with S. guaranitica. The most I was able to discover about its provenance was that it came from Brazil.

Besides the relatively new form Van Remsen's, there are three that will be trialled soon from Argentina. More later.

Also, `Purple Majesty' (S. guaranitica x gesneriflora) has two relatively new competing forms `Betsy's Choice', which I think is a cross of guaranitica with the cardinalis form of fulgens, and `Jean's Purple Passion', like `Purple Majesty' on steroids.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 12:03AM
wardda

I acquired Brazil a couple of years ago. It has proved hardy here in New Jersey. It comes into bloom around the beginning of July. I'd say it was my favorite guaranitica except that to my untrained eye it is very close to the cultivar Blue Ensign, so there is a toose-up.

Betsy's choice went into the garden last year and bloomed a bit by early September. Jean's Purple Passion sounds interesting. I am looking for a Purple Majesty look alike that does better in my yard, maybe this is it?

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 12:24PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I planted 'Purple Majesty' in September (got it from Plant Delights) and it came through the winter just fine. It's emerging beautifully right now.

Cameron
Chapel Hill, NC

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Salvia Friesland or butterfly bush??? Need help identifying this photo
Please help me identify the pink perennial in front...
landscaping2014
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
Salvia X Trident Questions
How should I treat this one. Like a hot desert Salvia....
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Help with ID, please
Reposted from Name that Plant Forum I planted this,...
salviabelle
Will Salvia apiana White Sage grow in Pennsylvania
I am interested in trying to grow a Sage that I saw...
grandprix1
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Brazil Dark Chocolate and Rust 7' 6" x 10' 6"
Home Depot
Tilda Chandelier by Arteriors
$1,512.00 | Lumens
Modus Bossa 6 Piece Round Dining Room Set in Dark Chocolate
Beyond Stores
Brasil Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Black & Decker T4569B 4 Slice Toaster - Black - 050875803473
$44.99 | Hayneedle