Salvia vaseyi

salviakeeperApril 9, 2010

Again, thanks to ccroulet for his directions and shared specifics about this species. I was unable to locate the bighorn sheep parkinglot population recommended by ccroulet, and if it's the place across the hwy from San Jacinto/Santa Rosa Mtn info center, I scoured the area and all gates to the trails were closed for the season. I'm still bewildered about identifying this species and I'm not quite sure if I really found Wand sage or these are S apianas or maybe even a hybrid population. Jepson just describes this species with flower clusters without stating 'clearly round' as described by J. Lightner in SD County Native Plants. I found these plants directly above the wash at the confluence of San Felipe and Grapevine Creeks in Anza Borrego. The inflorescense look very similar to S. apiana with 'spike-like clusters' with white w/purple speckled petals, much like those I've found at a much higher elevation at the foot of Granite Mountain (2800').

These plants were just beginning to flower and whether or not these plants are vaseyi, the hunt for and study of them was quite interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: S vaseyi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

The parking area is up the hill. It's just a little square. Look at the GPS positions I gave with my pictures. We got back from the Whipple Mtns. two days ago, and I noticed an S. vaseyi just uphill ("uphill" as per Hwy 74) from the big view turnout on Hwy 74. Would be within walking distance of the vista point.
UPDATE: One of the S. vaseyi I photographed in 2008 was at 33.63234 N, 116.40409 W, elev. 2814 +- 26 ft. If you put this position into Google Earth, you'll land on the plant and you can see the parking area directly north of it.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:20PM
salviakeeper

Yep, i think i have to return to the desert to hunt down vaseyi again. This swarm of salvias is most likely apiana. I doesn't resemble either your photos, ccroulet, or those in Lightner's book. Dang!

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 3:25PM
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

The plants in your pictures are S. apiana.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
salvia seeds edible?
I know that Chia seeds are commonly eaten but are all...
anygreen
CA Salvia ID
I went out for a jog today and decided to take some...
anygreen
Identification question
Hi, This is my first post here on Gardenweb. Here a...
homobotanica
Please help me ID this yellow flower. Salvia family?
Hi, My friend found this plant and wanted to know what...
foxyfoliageinc
I need plants ofb Salvia Apiana.
I left my place in California and have had no luck...
Designed Excellence
Sponsored Products
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa Salvia Modern White Leatherette Sofa...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™