Onions and Garlic and Shallots. Oh, My!

PeaBee4(9a)July 31, 2004

I have a sunny spot that I think I am going to use as a herb garden. I also want to try my hand with garlic and shallots.

Soooooo...I know that I start with the tiny little bulblets, or with the cloves of garlic, but when? Can the grocery store garlic be used?

We love the flavor of shallots, but they are a little pricey for me. I had a crop one year, but I have forgotten just what and when I put them in.

Thanks

PB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

Put them in in late Fall. Plant the bulbs two inches deep in good, loose, compost. Shallots multiply so the price becomes cheaper. They are so good. Be sure to start garlic from large bulbs (from the store is fine) and you'll get the largest plants. Paul.

Bookmark   August 1, 2004 at 9:54PM
PeaBee4(9a)

Paul, thanks. I am going to give them a try. Now, all I have to do is get the Man of The House to get the bed started. I shovel only when all else fails.

Wish me luck!
PB

Bookmark   August 2, 2004 at 8:59AM
lushoasis(z8B/Coastal GA)

I've had great luck with early November seed-planted shallots here. Some were the size of small onions! The set-sown shallots were not much bigger or better.

Last fall I tried garlic (expensive garlic) and was disappointed...small heads and half of them rotted during curing...I'll try again though. We used the 'green garlic' (immature garlic) and scapes in sautes and fried--tastes just like garlic!

Good luck, deb

Bookmark   August 15, 2004 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Where are all the worms?
I moved to Murrells Inlet from Connecticut last June....
Ralph Thayer
what plants to take with when moving
We are moving to the beach. What plants might I successfully...
Tricia
pecan trees
I am going to plant 7 pecan trees. what is the best...
catherine59
Hours, you need help
Houzz, do you need help. Maybe someone who Can read...
josephene_gw
Little gem diseases
This is the 2nd year that I have grown little gem magnolias....
glogirll-2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™